The School of Architecture
The School of Architecture, Princeton’s center of teaching and research in architectural design, urbanism, history and theory, and architectural technologies provides students with a course of study that reflects on contemporary and emerging issues in architecture. Its roots reach back to 1832, when Professor Joseph Henry, an amateur architect and scientist, taught a course on the history of architecture. The School of Architecture was opened in 1919.
Principal degrees offered by the school include a bachelor of arts (A.B.), a master of architecture (M.Arch.) and a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.). The master of architecture program, accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), is intended for students who plan to practice architecture professionally.
Architecture is addressed as a practice involving both speculative intelligence and practical know-how. Students are encouraged to construct a personal course of study around a core of required courses that represent the knowledge essential to the education of an architect today. A thesis is central to the curriculum. Graduates of the master’s program are qualified to take the state professional licensing examination after the completion of a required internship.
The five-year doctoral programs have a double focus: the history and theory of architecture and architectural technologies. The approach of both programs is interdisciplinary, covering a broad range of research interests. Working closely with the faculty of the school and allied departments in the University, students build individual programs of study involving at least two years of coursework, general examinations and a dissertation.
Students at the School of Architecture benefit from its small size and thorough integration with the University community. In recent years, the school has enrolled approximately 60 graduate students and roughly the same number of undergraduates.