The School of Engineering and Applied Science
Like the overall University, the engineering school is unique in combining the strengths of a world-leading research institution with the qualities of an outstanding liberal arts college. In both its teaching and research, Princeton engineering pursues fundamental knowledge as well as multidisciplinary collaborations that make technology effective in solving societal problems. The school is committed to preparing all students — engineers as well as students from across the University — to become leaders in an increasingly technology-driven society.
In its research, the engineering school emphasizes the discovery of basic principles that enable innovation in many fields and industries. Engineering faculty and students collaborate with colleagues in industry, the natural sciences, humanities, social sciences and public policy to build on these discoveries and forge multidimensional solutions. The school has 130 faculty members who, in 2011-12, conducted approximately $77 million in research funded by government, industry and foundations. Current areas of strength and growth include research in human health, energy and the environment, and security.
Degrees offered by the school include a bachelor of science in engineering (B.S.E.), a bachelor of arts (A.B.), a master of science in engineering (M.S.E.), a master of engineering (M.Eng.) and a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.). In spring 2012, the school enrolled 1,131 undergraduates, of whom 38 percent were women. As of December 2012, 573 graduate students, including 24 percent women, were pursuing advanced degrees in engineering.
Engineering education at Princeton began in 1875 and grew into the creation of the School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1921. Throughout its history, the school has created and supported new fields of study, including aeronautical engineering in 1942 and operations research and financial engineering in 1999. The Keller Center for Innovation in Engineering Education, created in 2005, supports cross-disciplinary teaching, internships, entrepreneurship and independent research. The six engineering departments include: chemical and biological engineering; civil and environmental engineering; computer science; electrical engineering, mechanical and aerospace engineering; and operations research and financial engineering.
Research and teaching in engineering is concentrated in six buildings: Bowen Hall; Computer Science; the Engineering Quadrangle (EQuad); the Friend Center for Engineering Education; Hoyt Laboratory and Sherrerd Hall. Construction began in 2012 for the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, including 127,000 square feet of laboratory, office and lecture spaces, surrounded by a network of gardens. That project is due to be completed in 2015.