Research, Education & Civic Engagement
Princeton’s faculty is uniquely positioned to advance research and public discourse on environmental, ecological, social and economic sustainability. Faculty research and teaching — including initiatives that engage the campus as a laboratory for new ideas — will reap exponential environmental benefits that improvements in institutional operations alone cannot hope to achieve. Investments in research and education are arguably the most effective way that Princeton can use its resources to make a global impact. Students involved in sustainability research and other environmental initiatives will be prepared for lives of leadership and active civic engagement in a time when such commitment is critical to achieving a sustainable future.
Primary goals are to broaden interdisciplinary participation in research and problem solving, artistic expression and communications relating to sustainability, to make better connections between faculty and graduate student research and undergraduate education on sustainability, and to increase student research opportunities in this field. Princeton is seeking to develop leaders in sustainability among students, staff and faculty, to expand the discourse about sustainability, and to instill in students an awareness of their responsibilities as global citizens.
Strategies being used to reach these goals include:
- Engaging faculty, supporting student and faculty research initiatives, and providing funds for courses on sustainability.
- Training residential/campus life staff to engage the student body in sustainability issues and responsibilities.
- Promoting sustainable practices among University community members through education and by example.
- Supporting student sustainability initiatives.
- Increasing the visibility of sustainability initiatives in University publications and external media.
- Creating media projects drawing on student experiences.
- Implementing a new sustainability communication strategy, including a dynamic sustainability website.