The Institutional Biosafety Committee provides review and oversight of all University research and teaching activities conducted by faculty, staff, students and/or visiting scientists that involve the use of biological agents. Biological agents include recombinant DNA molecules as defined by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules (NIH Guidelines), infectious and potentially infectious agents, human and non-human primate materials, and biological toxins.
Princeton University’s biological safety program is managed by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is administered by the Office of Research Integrity and Assurance.
- The IBC reviews research involving biological agents conducted at or sponsored by the University and approves those projects that comply with NIH Guidelines, applicable regulations and University polices.
- The IBC, the Biosafety Officer, and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety develop and implement policies, procedures, and guidelines related to the use of biohazardous agents.
- The IBC with the support of the Biosafety Officer, assists Principal Investigators and others at the University in meeting their responsibilities for assessing risks, establishing policies and procedures, training personnel, and maintaining facilities and equipment.
- The IBC provides guidance and support to the Biological Safety Officer and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety in carrying out the requirements of the University’s Biosafety program.
- The IBC and the Biosafety Officer investigate any significant problems, violations of NIH Guidelines, or any significant research-related accidents and illnesses and issues reports to the NIH.
Institutional Biosafety Committee
87 Prospect Ave, 3rd Floor
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone (609) 258-3105
Phone: (609) 258-3105
Jacqueline Wagner, Environmental Health and Biological Safety Officer, Environmental Health and Safety
Phone: (609) 258-1427
Stuart Leland, Director, Office of Research Integrity and Assurance
Phone: (609) 258-3321