Are Roxen sites the same as tilde "~" sites?
No, tilde sites are reserved for personal homepages. Roxen sites generally have the URL of http://www.princeton.edu/department_name where "department_name" is the same as the folder name on the Roxen edit server.
What is the process for web site approval and Go Live?
At least two weeks prior to launch, email roxen@princeton with the alert that your new site is ready to go live. WDS will then coordinate the review and launch process, working with other groups in OIT as well as the Office of Communications.
Note that the Office of Communications reviews Roxen-based sites for compliance with University requirements. If your site was designed by WDS, we will ensure that its framework complies. As the site owner, you are responsible for content. If you designed and developed your own site, your are responsible for both its framework and content.
Roxen sites launch on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, so please plan accordingly.
Why aren't my changes showing up for other people?
It sounds like you have a different file in your sandbox than what is on the site. You have to either commit or discard your changes on that file.
The image shows what the icons would look like if you have a different version of a file in your sandbox versus what the site has. The paper with pencil icon means that you have made edits. The YOU column is your sandbox and the SITE column is what is on the site for everyone to see.
If you have a paper icon in the YOU column and a matching paper icon in the SITE column, this means that you probably opened the file but did not edit it. For optimal results, it is best to Discard Changes on the file so that you see the same file that the SITE has.
How do I display additional content in the People Module?
In the People Module, you have the option to include additional information than is originally pulled from LDAP or Active Directory.
- Go to the persons page you would like to edit.
- Click Edit This Person.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Edit Profile.
This will bring up a new page that will allow you to edit and maintain whatever info you want to insert. The info will be displayed on the View person page.
How can I add someone as an editor to my site?
If you are an administrator for your Roxen site, you can edit permissions through Access Control. To give someone edit access:
- Within the edit version of your site, enter Edit mode.
- Open the Content Editor by clicking on the "CE" yellow folder icon at the top right.
- Open the Access Control window by clicking the Access Control tab.
- Scroll down, and search the name or userid of the user to whom you want to give edit access.
- When it appears, click the user's name.
- Scroll down to Memberships.
- To the right of "Explicit Membership," select the relevant group name to which you want to give the person access.
- Click "Save."
- Click "Exit."
A more detailed explanation with screenshots is on the Permissions documentation page.
How can I change folder names?
It is possible to rename folders within your site. Be aware however that if you have links in a page or menu items that point at the folder to be renamed, the links will not automatically change to the newly named folder.
The following steps will walk you through changing the name of the folder, then re-inserting the link into the navigation menu.
Changing the Folder Name
- Enter CE view.
- Navigate your way to the directory that contains the folder that you would like to rename.
- Click the blue down arrow menu icon of the folder.
- Select Move/Rename from the menu.
- Go through the steps - renaming your folder appropriately.
Editing The Navigation Menu
- Enter the Insite Editor.
- Navigate to the directory that contains the newly renamed folder.
- Click the Tab labeled Properties.
- Click the button labeled Menu.
- If you had your folder linked here before, it is probably crossed out now.
- Insert the link of the directory you renamed.
- Delete the reference to the old link (it will be crossed out)
How do I make my main menu link go directly to the first menu link in my submenu?
If you do not have content for your main menu item's page, you may instead want your main menu link to go directly to the first item in your submenu. To do this, you’ll first need to create your main menu item. Next add a new page under that item. Edit the main menu item’s page and Insert an RXML component. In the RXML component add this:
<nocache><redirect to="/yourwebsite/mainmenu/subpage/" /></nocache>
Replace the "/yourwebsite/mainmenu/subpage/" with the directory names that apply to your website. Save and commit the file. Your main menu item's page will now redirect to the subpage.
Note: If you use this convention, it is recommended that you do this for all your main menu items so there is consistency with your web site's navigation.
Where should I store my videos?
We recommend that you store your videos in your department's central file server. This way the videos can take advantage of Flash streaming - video on demand - and your audience does not have to wait for the video to completely download.