Free Website Themes
Web Development Services (WDS) provides free design themes for use with sites in the Roxen content management system. If you have any questions or need a customization, please contact us.
What is a theme?
A theme is a pre-designed website framework, in which the layout, color scheme, and navigation have already been created. You only need to fill in the content (text, links, images, etc). The themes offered here are intended for simple web sites, and can also be used with existing standard modules for managing News, Events, and People. If you would like to use such a module for your site, or would like more information, please contact WDS. The themes are provided free of charge, conform to the University's web site publishing requirements, and are designed for readability and ease of navigation.
Steps for using the free themes
- Decide on a theme.
Use the “Select a Theme” drop down menu at the top to preview each one: http://www.princeton.edu/wds/samples/fauver/
- Fill out the Site Request form (login with your Princeton netID): https://www.princeton.edu/wds/request/
After you submit the form, you will receive an email indicating that your new site has been created in the next 2-4 business days. Pay attention to the instructions in that email. Be sure to change your site’s banner and logo.
- Add and edit content. Please see the documentation, or sign up for an Introduction class (Princeton netid required). You can also email Princeton's Roxen Community using the roxen-support list – you’re automatically on that list as soon as you request a site.
- Make sure your site follows University Requirements.
- Make sure you follow best practices regarding your sites content. See the Guide to Creating Website Information Architecture and Content (PDF)
- If you would like to use the News, Events, or People modules, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Launch your website. Send an email to email@example.com when you are ready to launch your new site. Sites are reviewed by the Office of Communications. Sites launch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Allow up to 2 weeks for this process. Be aware that you may need to redirect your old website to the new one.
Examples of sites using themes
Freshman Scholars Institute uses Noor: Original
Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum uses Tigers (and displays non-Western characters)
Carbon Cycling in the Deep Crustal Biosphere conference site uses Inventive: Teal
Burdine Lab uses Tux
WordNet uses Inventive: Bright Orange
Princeton Colloquium on Public and International Affairs uses Noor: Sienna
Changing a design theme
Contact WDS if you would like us to modify a design theme for your site. Customizations are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and billed by the hour. If you are css savvy, you can modify the design yourself. Please be aware that WDS does not offer support for modifications to its designs, so be certain you are completely comfortable with design before choosing this option.