Bruce G. Blair
Bruce Blair joined the Program on Science and Global Security as a Research Scholar in May, 2013. His principal research interests are in technical and policy steps on the path toward the verifiable elimination of nuclear weapons – global zero – with a focus on deep bilateral nuclear arms reductions, multilateral arms negotiations, and de-alerting of nuclear arsenals.
- Strategic Command and Control (Brookings, 1985), http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Command-Control-Redefining-Nuclear/dp/0815709811\ , winner of the 1986 Edgar S. Furniss Award for its contribution to the study of national security
- Crisis Stability and Nuclear War (Oxford, 1988; co-editor with Kurt Gottfried) http://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Stability-Nuclear-Kurt-Gottfried/dp/0195051475
- The Logic of Accidental Nuclear War (Brookings, 1993) http://www.amazon.com/The-Logic-Accidental-Nuclear-War/dp/0815709838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372360898&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Logic+of+Accidental+Nuclear+War
- Countdown to Zero (2010) - a documentary film on nuclear weapons, released in 2010 at the Sundance and Cannes Film Festival and shown in theaters around the world. http://www.takepart.com/zero
U.S. Congress, House Committee on Armed Services, Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, "The U.S. Nuclear Deterrent: What are the Requirements for a Strong Deterrent in an Era of Defense Sequester?", March 19, 2013
- "Modernizing U.S. Nuclear Strategy, Force Structure and Posture," Global Zero U.S. Nuclear Policy Commission Report, Global Zero, May 2012, http://www.globalzero.org/files/gz_us_nuclear_policy_commission_report.pdf or local pdf file
- "One Hundred Nuclear Wars: Stable Deterrence between the United States and Russia at Reduced Nuclear Force Levels Off Alert in the Presence of Limited Missile Defenses, Victor Esin, Matthew Mckinzie, Valery Yarynich, Pavel Zolotarev,"Science & Global Security 19, no. 3 (2011): 167-194. local pdf file
- “Can Disarmament Work,” Foreign Affairs , co-authored with Matt Brown, Richard Burt, Josef Joff and James W. Davis, July/August 2011. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/67913/bruce-blair-matt-brown-and-richard-burt-josef-joffe-and-james-w/can-disarmament-work
- "De-Alerting Strategic Forces," in Reykavik Revisited: Steps Toward a World Free of Nuclear Weapons, George P. Shultz, Sidney D. Drell, and James E. Goodby, eds. (Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution Press, 2008), http://www.hoover.org/publications/books/8143
- "The Logic of Intelligence Failure," Forum on Physics and Society, American Physical Society, April 2004, http://www.aps.org/units/fps/newsletters/2004/april/article3.html local pdf file
- “Smaller and Safer: A New Plan For Nuclear Postures,” Foreign Affairs , co-authored with Victor Esin, Matthew McKinzie, Valery Yarynich and Pavel Zolotarev (Council on Foreign Relations, September-October 2010), http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/66540/bruce-blair-victor-esin-matthew-mckinzie-valery-yarynich-and-pav/smaller-and-safer.