"One Health and the Politics of Antimicrobial Resistance" by Laura Kahn (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2016)
In One Health and the Politics of Antimicrobial Resistance, Dr. Kahn investigates the use of antibiotics and the surge in antimicrobial resistance in food animals and humans from a One Health perspective. Combining painstaking research with unprecedented access to international data, the book analyzes the surprising outcomes of differing policy approaches to antibiotic resistance around the globe. By integrating the perspectives of both medicine and agriculture and exploring the history and science behind the widespread use of growth-promoting antibiotics, One Health and the Politics of Antimicrobial Resistance examines the controversy in a unique way while offering policy recommendations that all sides can accept.
"Unmaking the Bomb: A Fissile Material Approach to Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation" by Harold A. Feiveson, Alexander Glaser, Zia Mian and Frank N. von Hippel (MIT Press, 2014)
Achieving nuclear disarmament, stopping nuclear proliferation, and preventing nuclear terrorism are among the most critical challenges facing the world today.
Unmaking the Bomb proposes a new approach to reaching these long-held goals. Rather than considering them as separate issues, the authors—physicists and experts on nuclear security—argue that all three of these goals can be understood and realized together if we focus on the production, stockpiling, and disposal of plutonium and highly enriched uranium—the fissile materials that are the key ingredients used to make nuclear weapons.
The authors describe the history, production, national stockpiles, and current military and civilian uses of plutonium and highly enriched uranium, and propose policies aimed at reducing and eventually eliminating these fissile materials worldwide. These include an end to the production of highly enriched uranium and plutonium for weapons, an end to their use as reactor fuels, and the verified elimination of all national stockpiles.
“Confronting the Bomb: Pakistani and Indian Scientists Speak Out” by Pervez Hoodbhoy
"The Power of Promise: Examining Nuclear Energy in India" by M.V. Ramana
In December 2012, Ramana’s book The Power of Promise: Examining Nuclear Energy in India was published by Penguin Books, India. The book offers the first detailed history of India’s nuclear energy program. It examines the evolution of the goals of India’s nuclear power generation program, its failures to meet these goals, and the economic and social costs, safety risks and environmental consequences that have accompanied it. The book is available from Penguin India and Amazon (hard copy and kindle versions).
"The Iranian Nuclear Crisis: A Memoir" by Seyed Hossein Mousavian
The first detailed Iranian account of the diplomatic struggle between Iran and the international community, The Iranian Nuclear Crisis: A Memoir opens in 2002, as news of Iran’s clandestine uranium enrichment and plutonium production facilities emerge. Seyed Hossein Mousavian, previously the head of the Foreign Relations Committee of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council and spokesman for Tehran’s nuclear negotiating team, brings the reader into Tehran’s private deliberations as its leaders wrestle with internal and external adversaries.
Mousavian provides readers with intimate knowledge of Iran’s interactions with the International Atomic Energy Agency and global powers. His personal story comes alive as he vividly recounts his arrest and interrogations beginning on charges of espionage. Dramatic episodes of diplomatic missions tell much about the author and the swirling dynamics of Iranian politics and diplomacy—undercurrents that must be understood now more than ever.
As intense debate continues over the direction of Iran’s nuclear program, Mousavian weighs the likely effects of military strikes, covert action, sanctions, and diplomatic engagement, considering their potential to resolve the nuclear crisis.
Bridging Partition: People’s Initiatives for Peace between India and Pakistan
Edited by Smitu Kothari and Zia Mian with Kamla Bhasin, A H Nayyar and Mohammad Tahseen. Published spring 2010 by Orient Black Swan.
Who's In Charge? Leadership during Epidemics, Bioterror Attacks, and Other Public Health Crises
Written by Laura H. Kahn. Published fall 2009 by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Articles, Presentations, and Selected Publications
- "Plutonium Separation in Nuclear Power Programs: Status, Problems, and Prospects of Civilian Reprocessing Around the World", International Panel on Fissile Materials, 2015
- "Alternatives to MOX. Direct-Disposal Options for Stockpiles of Separated Plutonium", by Frank von Hippel and Gordon MacKerrnon, Report of the International Panel on Fissile Material, April 2013
- "Managing Nuclear Spent Fuel: Policy Lessons From a 10-Country Study" by Harold Feiveson, Zia Mian, M.V. Ramana, and Frank von Hippel, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, June 27, 2011.
- "Contributions of Space to National Imperatives", Christopher F. Chyba, testimony to the Subcommittee on Science and Space, Committee on Science, Commerce, and Transportation, United States Senate, May 18, 2011.
- "Second chances: Containment of a reactor meltdown" by Frank von Hippel, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, March 14, 2011
- "International Impact of U.S. Spent-Fuel Policy" by Frank von Hippel. A prepared statement to the Blue Ribbon Commission on America’s Nuclear Future, September 21, 2010.
- "A Verifiable Limited Test Ban for Anti-satellite Weapons" by Ross Liemer and Christopher F. Chyba, The Washington Quarterly, 33:3, pp. 149-163, July 2010.
- "One Health Initiative" by Laura H. Kahn, International Innovation, June 2010.
- "It's time to give up on breeder reactors" by Thomas Cochran, Harold Feiveson, Zia Mian, M.V. Ramana, Mycle Schneider, and Frank von Hippel, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, May/June 2010.
- "Seeking A Human Spaceflight Program Worthy of a Great Nation" by Wanda M. Austin, Christopher F. Chyba, Charles F. Kennel, Bohdan I. Bejmuk, Edward F. Crawley, Gnereal Lester L. Lyles, Leroy Chiao, Jeff Greason, and Sally K. Ride, October, 2009.
- FRS 124: When Cows Go Crazy: The Inextricable Link Between Human and Animal Health, Laura H. Kahn, Princeton University Freshman Seminar, Spring 2009
- Going MAD: Ten Years of the Bomb in South Asia, by Zia Mian and M.V. Ramana, Economic & Political Weekly, June 28, 2008.
- Managing spent fuel in the United States: The illogic of reprocessing, Frank von Hippel, Princeton University, Co-chair, International Panel on Fissile Material Congressional Staff Briefing on “The Global Nuclear Energy Partnership (GNEP) & Nuclear Waste Reprocessing& Finding a Viable Solution for Nuclear Waste, Rayburn H.O.B. 2362B, April 4, 2008.
- Feeding Potential for South Asia's Nuclear Fire, by Zia Mian, M.V. Ramana, and Frank von Hippel, The Asahi Shimbun, Point of View, April 30, 2007.
- A Comparative Study of Four States' Public Health Systems: Survey Results from Local Health Departments, Physicians and Veterinarians. Final report to the Josiah Macy, Jr. Foundation. by Laura H. Kahn, August 2006
- Life in a Nuclear Powered Crowd, by Zia Mian and Alexander Glaser, INESAP Bulletin June 2006
- Wrong Ends, Means, and Needs: Behind the U.S. Nuclear Deal With India, by Zia Mian and M.V. Ramana, Arms Control Today, January/February 2006
- Fissile Materials in South Asia and the Implications of the US-India Deal, by Zia Mian, A.H. Nayyar, M. V. Ramana and R. Rajaraman, Science and Global Security, 2006
- "Nuclear Power Plant Emergencies and Thyroid Cancer Risk" by Laura H. Kahn and Frank von Hippel. Supplement to New Jersey Medicine, Volume 101, No. 9, September, 2004.
- Does the United States Need a New Plutonium-Pit Facility? by Steve Fetter and Frank von Hippel, Arms Control Today, May 2004.
- Elementary Aspects of Noncompliance in the World of Arms Control and Nonproliferation, by Zia Mian, To appear in International Law and Organization: Closing the Compliance Gap, Edward C. Luck and Michael W. Doyle, eds., (Rowman and Littlefield, 2004). \( 280k )
- The Nuclear Confrontation in South Asia, by M.V. Ramana and Zia Mian, SIPRI Yearbook 2003, Armaments, Disarmament and International Security, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- "Reducing the Hazards from Stored Spent Power-Reactor Fuel in the United States" by Robert Alvarez, Jan Beyea, Klaus Janberg, Jungmin Kang, Ed Lyman, Allison Macfarlane, Gordon Thompson, Frank N. von Hippel, Science & Global Security, Volume 11:1-51, 2003.
- Plutonium and Reprocessing of Spent Nuclear Fuel ( 2.8M )by Frank N. von Hippel, Science, Volume 293, Number 5539, Issue of 28 Sep 2001, pp. 2397-2398.
- A Nuclear Tiger by the Tail: Some Problems of Command and Control in South Asia by Z. Mian, PU/CEES Report No. 328, June 2001
- Letter to Physics Today April 2000, Radiation Risk and Ethics:' Health Hazards, Prevention Costs, and Radiophobia by Frank N. von Hippel
- "Using Commercial Imaging Satellites to Detect the Operation of Plutonium-Production Reactors and Gaseous-Diffusion Plants" by Hui Zhang and Frank von Hippel, Science & Global Security, Volume 8, pp. 219-271, 2000.
- The Nuclear Turning Point - A Blueprint for Deep Cuts and De-alerting of Nuclear Weapons by Bruce Blair, Janne Nolan, Jonathan Dean, Harold Feiveson, Frank von Hippel, Steve Fetter, James Goodby, George Lewis, and Theodore Postol, editors (published by the Brookings C-98-34). 1999