The School of Architecture (SoA) Archive houses the Student Work Archive; administrative and archival records; and historic collections from former faculty members such as Jean Labatut (1899-1986) and Martin L. Beck (1900-1989).
The Labatut Collection includes papers, 35mm and lantern slides, films, blueprints, drawings, project files, and student works donated to the School by Professor Jean Labatut, Chief Design Critic and Director of Graduate Studies from 1928 to 1967. The Collection includes Labatut designs for monuments, residential projects, Princeton University campus buildings, and the 1939 World Fair, as well as many student projects.
Substantial materials from the Labatut collection are also available in the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections’ Manuscript Division (Firestone Library finding aid) and the Princeton University Archives and Public Policy Papers (Seely G. Mudd Manuscript Library).
The Beck Collection consists of personal and professional files from 1925 to 1980. A 1928 graduate from Princeton’s School of Architecture, Martin L. Beck taught at the School until the war effort pulled him away on government contracts in 1942. His papers include lecture notes, slides, sketchbooks, plans and photos, and correspondence.