Webspace: Share Large Files
Webspace is a collaboration tool offered by OIT. It provides 5GB of online storage space, and makes it easy to share [large] files over email.
Its ability to set permissions, or specify who can or cannot access specific files, is particularly useful when collaborating with Princeton students and faculty, as well as those without a Princeton email address.
This brief guide describes how to upload and email files. For more information, visit the OIT Webspace page or call the OIT Helpdesk at 258-4357.
Getting Started with WEBSPACE
To get started, go to www.princeton.edu/webspace Login using your valid Princeton Net ID and password.
The DOCUMENT MANAGER WINDOW
Webspace offers access to most of its features in the main Document Manager window (pictured below)
- When familiarizing yourself with the Document Manager window, note the "breadcrumbs" at the top that enable easy navigation within your Web-space.
- When no files are checked the "upload" and "new folder" icons at the top right (below search) are active - not grayed out.
- Note that the icons at the top left are currently inactive, or grayed out. These become active when you select a file. These features and more are available by right clicking files (or folders) too.
You can upload a single file, a folder of files, or (best) a zipped folder of files.
- Click the "upload" folder icon at the top right of the Document Manager window (see picture above, icon located below search)
- As your web browser goes to the File Upload window (pictured below), a Java plugin applet will attempt to load - allow that. The Java plugin allows you to drag and drop your files into the File Upload window. You can also click "add files" to bring up a dialog box showing the files on your computer.
- If your browser won't load the Java plugin, or if you prefer to use a different method of uploading files, you can also use the "Basic Upload" to add files to the File Upload window. Using "Basic Upload," click "choose file" in the File Upload Window. To add additional files, click "Add File."
- Once you've chosen your files, and moved them to the File Upload window, click "start upload."
SET PERMISSIONS Before Sharing Files
Define who can access the files on your Webspace
- While in the Document Manager window, right click on the folder you would like to share and go to "Manage / Permissions"
- You will see a table listing the names of associated users and the permissions they have. Click "Add User/Group" at the top right to add people to your list. Enable the user, set their permissions and then click "Finish."
- If the table shows incorrect permissions click the appropriate radio box and then hit "Apply." Click exit to return to your Document Manager window.
SEND Your Shared Files
Share your files both on and off campus
- While in the Document Manager window, tight click on the folder you would like to share and select "Email." A window will open allowing you to prepare the email. You can also click on the folder and select "Email" in the buttons at the top left.
- Add the email addresses (or names, if they have a Princeton Net ID) of the people you want to email your files to.
- Hit "Send"
- That's it - recipients will receive an email from you with a link to your files!
If these instructions do not cover the issue you are having with Webspace, please email the VR Curator.