Network Installation for Unix Computers
Software installation cannot be completed over a wireless connection. Please use an Ethernet connection to run these processes.
INSTALLATION AND ACTIVATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MATLAB SOFTWARE
- su to root.
- Make a directory for mounting the distribution
# mkdir -p /mnt/licensed.dist
- Mount the distribution with SMB:
# mount -t smbfs -o username=PRINCETON\\<netID> //files.princeton.edu/Licensed /mnt/licensed.dist
- All one line, no line breaks
- Replace <netID> with your Princeton netID
- You will be prompted for a password. Please enter your Princeton Windows password.
- If the command does not work, you might not have SMB mount support installed.
- NOTE: As of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Fedora releases, use 'cifs' instead of 'smbfs' as the -t parameter above.
- cd to /mnt/licensed.dist/Products/Matlab/R2012a/Unix_MacOSX, and open the file Princeton_README using cat or a text editor. The information in this text file should be available throughout the installation and activation of Matlab.
- In the Unix_MacOSX directory, type ./install to start installing Matlab. NOTE: Do NOT copy folders from Unix_MacOSX to your computer. The installation will fail, and copying the folders violates our license agreement with Mathworks.
- In the MathWorks Installer window, accept the default Install using the Internet and click Next.
- Select Yes and press Next to accept the license.
- In the Provide Installation Information window, select the Provide File Installation Key option. Click anywhere in the text field of the File Installation Key window to select it, and then paste the File Installation Key from Princeton_README into the text field. The File Installation Key is eleven sets of five numbers, separated by hyphens. Click Next.
- In the Installation Type window, accept the default option Typical and press Next.
- In the Folder Selection window, accept the default location and press Next. If you choose a different location, make a note of it.
- The Confirmation window will list the installation folder, and the products to be installed. Press Install to continue.
- Read the information on compilers. Press Next.
- An Installation Complete window will display the option to Activate MATLAB. Click Next to continue.
- In the MathWorks Software Activation window, accept the default "Activate automatically using the Internet" , and click on Next.
- In the Log in or Provide License File window, select Enter the full path to your license file, including the file name. Browse to the Unix_MacOSX directory and select license.lic. Press Open to add it as the file name (rather than browsing, you can also type in the path /mnt/licensed.dist/Licensed/Products/Matlab/R2012a/Unix_MacOSX/license.lic). Click Next.
- Click Finish to close the installation. NOTE: At this point, you have installed Matlab and a network license. As long as you are connected to the Princeton network, you will be able to run all toolboxes for which we are licensed. You will NOT be able to run Matlab away from the campus network or on a stand-alone basis. To install a local license which will permit you to work offline, please continue. Note that you will need the appropriate File Activation Key from the Princeton_README file.
- Start Matlab. If the default installation location is used, the matlab executable is found at /usr/local/MATLAB/R2012a/bin.
- In the Help pull-down menu, select Licensing, and then Activate Software.
- Select the default option Activate automatically using the Internet. Click Next.
- Log in to your Mathworks account by entering your Princeton University email address and your MathWorks password, and clicking on Next.
NOTE: If you do not have one, you will be given the opportunity to create a MathWorks account at this point. A MathWorks account is REQUIRED to use Matlab. You must use your netid@Princeton.EDU email address as your MathWorks email address. Please do NOT use your LDAP or Windows University password as your MathWorks password.
NOTE: If you are a student and previously created an account with MathWorks for the student version of MatLab, you will need to login to the MathWorks website and change your profile from "student" to "academic".
- In the License Selection window, select Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed. Type or paste in the appropriate Activation Key from Princeton_README, and click on Next.
- A Confirmation window will display. Press Activate to continue.
- Click Finish to complete activation, and close Matlab.
- When the installation is complete, unmount the distribution with:
# umount /mnt/licensed.dist
- Exit su and rebuild your executable hash
% rehash (if you use csh)
- Start Matlab by running the 'matlab' executable from the Matlab installation location/R2012a/bin.
- Make sure you have an SMB client on your system. Some linux distributions don't automatically install the SMB client, so you may need to install it before being able to mount SMB volumes. Check to make sure you have mount.smbfs or smbmount programs if you have problems installing Matlab on linux.
These are optional steps to ensure the software, the network license and the local licenses are all properly installed.
Start Matlab if it is not already running.
- At the '>>' prompt, type in ver and press Enter. This will list the Matlab software installed on your machine (30 applications/toolboxes for Unix and MacOS machines).
- Test network license functionality by typing 'license('test','MATLAB_Coder')' at the '>>' prompt.
- If the network license is working properly and you are on the Princeton network, the response should be 'ans = 1'.
- Check the locations of the licenses by navigating to /usr/local/Matlab/R2012a/licenses (or the equivalent directory if you installed Matlab to a different location).
- There should be two files in this folder: network.lic (the network license), and license_<<your_computer_name>>_296492_R2012a.lic (the local license).
LICENSE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS
Updating the license file for R2008b through R2011b
- Start Matlab as described above.
- Click on Help->Licensing->Update Current License
- Press the "Update Now" button.
The license will be automatically updated by Matlab communicating with the Mathwork site. Make sure you restart Matlab after this process is done.
To Switch Between Running Matlab Offline & Online
Matlab R2012a will automatically fall back to the offline license when it it is unable to contact the license server.