Network Installation for Windows 7/Vista/XP Computers
Software installation cannot be completed over a wireless connection. Please use an Ethernet connection to run these processes.
- Click on the Start menu in the lower left hand corner of your desktop. Right click on "Computer" (Windows 7/Vista) or "My Computer" (Windows XP) and select "Map Network Drive".
- In the "Map Network Drive" window type \\files.princeton.edu\licensed\Products\Matlab\R2013a\MSWindows into the folder section. Leave "Reconnect at logon" unchecked and check "Connect using different credentials" (Window 7/Vista) and click "Finish". Proceed to step 3. For Windows XP leave "Reconnect at logon" unchecked and click the link for "different user name". In the "Connect As.." box type "Princeton\Netid", subtitute "NetID" with your NetID, use your Princeton password and click "OK". Then click "Finish".
- In the "Windows Security" window type "Princeton\NetID", subtitute "NetID" with your NetID in the User name section and use your Princeton password. Then click "OK".
INSTALLATION AND ACTIVATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MATLAB SOFTWARE
- Double-click the Princeton_README file in the MSWindows directory. If you are prompted for an application to use for this file, select 'WordPad'. Princeton_README is a simple text file containing all the keys needed to install and activate Matlab R2013a. The file should be open throughout the installation and activation of Matlab.
- A File Installation Key (for 296492) will be displayed within the Princeton_README file. The key is needed later in the installation process. Please make a note of this File Installation Key, or copy it into the clipboard.
- Double-click setup.exe to begin the installation. NOTE: Do NOT copy the files and folders in the MSWindows directory to your computer. The installation will fail, and copying the folders violates our license agreement with Mathworks.
- Windows will warn that the command is an unverified program. Click Run to allow the installer to continue. You may also need to re-enter your network credentials (PRINCETON\netID and password). The installer will begin copying files to your local machine.
- In the first Mathworks Installer window, choose the default Install using the Internet. Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement in the next window.
- In the Provide Installation Information window, choose the Provide File Installation Key option. Copy the first File Installation Key (for 296492) from the Princeton_README file into the input area. Click Next.
- In the Installation Type window, choose Typical and click Next.
- In the Folder Selection window, accept the default installation location or press Browse to enter a different location. Agree to create a new folder, if asked. Click Next.
- In the License File window, you are asked to Enter the full path to your license file, including the file name. Type in \\files.princeton.edu\Licensed\Products\Matlab\R2013a\MSWindows\license.lic (all one line). Click Next.
- A Confirmation window will display what is being installed. Click the Install button to continue.
- In the Installation Complete window, press Finish.
- PLEASE NOTE: In order to install all the software licensed, steps 2 through 11 must be repeated, using the second File Installation Key (for 180014) listed in the Princeton_README file. It is simplest to run install the software licensed by File Installation Key 180014 right after completing the steps above; however, it can be installed at a later time.
- When installing using the second File Installation Key (180014), you will be asked if you want to overwrite Simscape (it was already installed during the first set-up). You can press No or No to All to skip installing Simscape a second time. When the second installation is complete, it will display the software installed on your machine.
- PLEASE NOTE: Once all the above steps have been completed (some twice), you have installed Matlab and a network license. As long as you are connected to the Princeton network, you will be able to run all toolboxes for which we are licensed. You will NOT be able to run Matlab away from the campus network or on a stand-alone basis. To install a local license which will permit you to work offline, please continue. Note that you will need the appropriate File Activation Key from the Princeton_README file.
- When the second installation is finished, a window may appear prompting you to activate the software. The Matlab software will then open. If there is no prompt asking you to activate, open Matlab itself.
- In the Help pull-down menu, select Licensing, and then Activate Software. Allow User Account Control, if the window displays.
- Accept the default option Activate automatically using the Internet. Click Next.
- Log in to your Mathworks account by entering your Princeton University email address and your MathWorks password, and clicking on Next.
NOTE: If you do not have one, you will be given the opportunity to create a MathWorks account at this point. A MathWorks account is REQUIRED to use Matlab. You must use your netID@Princeton.EDU email address as your MathWorks email address. Please do NOT use your LDAP or Windows University password as your MathWorks password.
- In the License Selection window, select "Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed:", paste or type in the appropriate Activation Key from the Princeton_README file opened at the start of the installation, and click on Next.
- In the Confirmation window, press the Activate button.
- Click Finish to complete activation.
These are optional steps to ensure the software, the network license and the local licenses are all properly installed.
Start Matlab if it is not already running.
- At the '>>' prompt, type in ver and press Enter. This will list the Matlab software installed on your machine (33 applications/toolboxes for MSWindows).
- Test network license functionality by typing 'license('test','MATLAB_Coder')' at the '>>' prompt.
- If the network license is working properly and you are on the Princeton network, the response should be 'ans = 1'.
- Check the locations of the licenses by navigating to C:\Program Files\Matlab\R2013a\licenses (or the equivalent directory if you installed Matlab to a different location).
- There should be two files in this folder: network.lic (the network license), and license_<<your_computer_name>>_296492_R2013a.lic (the local license).
LICENSE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS
Updating the license file for R2009a through R2012b
- Start Matlab as described above.
- Click on Help->Licensing->Update Current License
- Press the "Update Now" button.
The license will be automatically updated by Matlab communicating with the Mathwork site. Make sure you restart Matlab after this process is done.
HOW TO UNINSTALL MATLAB
- Choose the Control Panel menu from the Start Menu
- Choose the "Programs" (Windows 7), "Programs and Features" (Vista) or Add or Remove Programs (XP) icon on the Control Panel
- Select the version of Matlab you wish to uninstall, and click on "Uninstall/Change" (Vista and Windows 7) or Change/Remove (XP)
- Uninstall Matlab and all toolboxes
- Click 'Finish' when uninstallation is complete.