The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Cultures is pleased to offer a number of funding opportunities for undergraduate students.
All applications for funding in support of undergraduate activities including summer study abroad, internships (not counting paid employment), senior thesis research and junior independent work or special projects (including individual student travel to conferences) will go through the Student Activities Funding Engine, or SAFE. Please do not apply directly to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese for funds in support of these activities, but submit an application through SAFE.
- Senior Thesis Funding - Resources are available to assist students with the costs of senior thesis research including, when appropriate, travel abroad. These funds are available only to Spanish and Portuguese concentrators. Please discuss your plans with your advisor and/or the Departmental Representative.
Juniors wishing to apply for summer research grants apply in the spring, while seniors may apply in the early fall for funds to conduct research over the fall break or during winter break/ intersession.
- Junior Paper Funding - Resources are available to assist students with the costs of junior paper research including, when appropriate, travel abroad. Spanish and Portuguese concentrators are given top priority for these funds. Please discuss your plans with your advisor and/or the Departmental Representative.
JP funding opportunities will appear in SAFE as "Independent Projects Related to the Study of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Cultures."
- Independent Projects - We will consider proposals for independent projects related specifically to the student of Spanish and Portuguese languages and cultures. A strong, well-developed project proposal is essential. Criteria include:
a. Departmental concentrators will have top priority for JP/independent project funding.
b. All independent projects by freshmen will be considered. Students who have shown a strong interest in majoring in our department will have priority.
c. Requests by sophomores will be considered if they are seriously considering a major in the department. Early concentrators will have priority.
d. Requests from sophomores, juniors and seniors who are serious prospective certificate students will be considered based on 1) an exceptional research project; 2) presence in the department; and 3) strong recommendations from 1-2 faculty members. PLEASE CONSULT WITH SPO DEPARTMENTAL REPRESENTATIVE BEFORE APPLYING.
- Summer Study Abroad - Applications will be accepted for summer study abroad scholarships. These funds are limited to study in Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking countries, and they do not cover internships. These are highly competitive scholarships for Princeton undergraduates with different levels and backgrounds in Spanish or Portuguese.
- Princeton in Argentina, Princeton in Brazil and Princeton in Spain - Students with financial need who are admitted to these programs will automatically be considered for a scholarship. Students should continue to apply directly to the department for these programs.