Sustainability: Why Should I Care?
An Event Created by the Women of ACG NJ to address the Challenges and Perspectives of Leading Women Professionals
Thursday, May 3, 2012, 6:00 to 9:00 pm The Olde Mille Inn, Basking Ridge, NJ
Topic: Sustainability: Why Should I Care?
Moderator: Joan Verplanck, Senior Director, Cushman & Wakefield; former President, NJ Chamber of Commerce
Florence Block, Executive Director, New Jersey Chapter of the US Green Building Council
Cathleen Lewis, Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations, AAA New Jersey Automobile Club
Dr. Shana Weber, Manager, Princeton University’s Office of Sustainability
Sustainability” has become a buzz word that is often used and heard, but carries different meanings and levels of importance to different individuals and organizations. As defined, sustainability is “the capacity to endure, and the maintenance of responsibility for the environment, the economy and socially”. Some decision-makers focus on a single platform, while others incorporate an integrated approach to sustainability. During this program, the esteemed panelists will explain why a sustainability-focused strategy must address all three of these responsibilities in order to ensure and promote viable long term solutions. Speakers will apply their diverse insights to help answer critical questions, such as:
- What have we learned from a historical perspective about protecting the environment?
- What are the social and economic impacts of sustainability to my business, my community and globally?
- What are the distribution mechanisms of the solutions, and associated direct/indirect costs and benefits?
- How do we effectively execute the solutions in an economically, environmentally and socially responsible way?
- What are the forecasted trends for the next five years and beyond?
Plan on attending if you want to know what solutions are being formulated, how policy decisions are being communicated and how you and your organization may be impacted and can participate directly. Speakers will share case study examples and lessons learned so that you will gain practical solutions that apply to your business.