March 10, 2004
Butler/Wu, Private Dining Room
Committee Attendees: Michael McKay, Chair; Barclay Satterfield, Joe
G. Conley, Andy Dobson, Janet Gruschow, Robin Izzo, Bill Jordan, Emmanual Kreike,
Cathy Kunkel, Tom Nyquist , Leila Shahbender, Don Weston, David Wilcove
Other Attendees: Mary Banfield, Alex Barron, Rick Curtis, Nathan Gregory,
Christina Harris, Tali S. Malott, Robert Ortego, Lisa Ridolfi
Mike McKay welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Paper Policy Update
Mike McKay reported the Provost forwarded to the President for approval PEOC’s recommendation for a policy requiring that all paper for routine office use on campus consist of 100 post consumer recycled material. The policy has been approved.
Don reported the Communications Office will announce the new paper policy
along with an article about PEOC mid March. One change was recommended under
the Policy Statement. The use of 100 recycled… should be changed to 100% post
Don reported the Purchasing Department will monitor the use of recycled paper throughout the campus community.
Don distributed a report entitled Recycled versus Virgin Paper Analysis, Boise Office Solutions. Buyers Laboratory, a testing company, has tested recycled paper on 5 different machines at the University - Canon, Pitney Bowes, Ricoh, Hewlett Packard, and Lexmark/IBM - and reported there is no significant difference when using recycled paper versus virgin paper. Diane Griffiths, Copier Center, informed Don one manufacturer of copier equipment, Ricoh, stated the use of 100% recycled paper on their machines causes more maintenance calls.
Dave Wilcove suggested a letter be sent to Ricoh from Don Weston informing them the University will only use 100% pc recycled paper, and the University is alarmed about their claim. If a manufacturer does not qualify, they will not be asked to provide their products to the university.
Janet Gruschow suggested having President Tilghman announce the paper policy at the AAMG meeting in June. Mike McKay also stated it would be a good idea to have an announcement made at the April 2 Trustee meeting. Don Weston thanked the Committee for their help in getting the new paper policy approved.
Robin Izzo distributed a document, Environmental Value of University Recycling Streams. Recycling streams can be divided into three groups:
- Regulatory Required Recycling – materials, such as motor oil, computer parts, florescent bulbs, anti freeze, etc. are disposed of as hazardous waste or recycled.
- Institutional Control – wastes, such as scrap metal, food wastes, tires, leaves, construction debris, etc., are collected by a specific University department or group that have detailed procedures in place to handle the disposal of the waste.
- Personal Control - wastes, such as mixed paper, bottles, cans, batteries, are disposed of via recycling.
Robin stated the biggest environmental benefit is realized when the waste may be recycled via a closed loop – that is the waste material is used to make more of that same material, i.e., cardboard used to make new cardboard.
The use of plastic cups and utensils versus permanent ware was discussed. Stu reported he did a pilot program where Dining Services used plastic items which were sent to a firm in New Jersey to be recycled. This program, however, resulted in a net cost to the University. Dave Wilcove suggested an interesting project for the summer intern might be exploring the use of other types of utensils that are more environmentally sustainable. Stu also mentioned Dining Services tried using permanent ware at Frist, but items were either broken or stolen. The Mongolian bowls at the Frist Center were completely gone in three months. Dining Services could not continue to afford replacing the permanent bowls; they eventually had to switch to plastic.
Student move out and the amount of material that is left on campus to be disposed
of was discussed. Rick Curtis suggested partnering with an organization, such
as the Salvation Army, to have some of the items taken away. Mike stated the
University tried this before years ago, and it failed. Having students help
in identifying recycling areas during the move out process was also suggested.
Mike McKay will ask Jon Baer, Director of Building Services, to report on procedures
for this year’s move out at the next meeting.
PEOC Annual Budget Proposal
Barclay Satterfield reported the Greening Princeton group believes it would be beneficial for PEOC to have an annual University budget for its initiatives. Greening Princeton has learned a number of other institutions have a recycling coordinator. Possible expenses the groups sees include Princeton hiring a recycling and conservation coordinator, purchasing wind power, and providing more organic food in the dining halls. The Greening Princeton group is wiling to go to President Tilghman in conjunction with a representative from PEOC to ask for an annual operating budget. Barclay stated some of the initiatives have gone to Priorities before and have not been funded. Mike McKay suggested prioritizing the projects with costs. Rick Curtis agreed it makes more sense to have a “connected approach”.
Sub Groups – Proposal
Greening Princeton has proposed developing sub groups (or task forces) to concentrate on different issues and to work outside the PEOC meetings. The idea was raised at the January meeting and again in February. If anyone wants to join one of the groups they should contact the sponsor of the group.
Stu Orefice reported sub groups meetings have begun. Stu will be the sponsor for the group. He can be reached at 8-6097 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recycling/Residential Eco Representatives
Tali Malott ’06 discussed the recycling competition initiated by Ohio State at the February meeting. Cathy Kunkel and Tali will contact Jon Baer to discuss a recycling competition on campus. Mike McKay appointed Jon Baer the leader for this group. Jon can be reached at 8-3713 or email@example.com
Don Weston will sponsor the purchasing group. Leila Shahbender volunteered to help. Don can be reached at 8-3407 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Nyquist will sponsor this group. He can be reached at 8-5471 or email@example.com
The amount of water used on campus (particularly in laboratories), shower
heads, faucets, etc. were also discussed. Bob Ortego, Environmental Compliance
Officer, Engineering Department, volunteered to contact the Plumbing Shop and
Elizabethtown Water Co. for preliminary information
Dave Wilcove asked about the maintenance of the campus grounds. Mike stated Jim Consolloy, Grounds Manager, gave a presentation to the PEOC on May 8, 2003. Princeton uses a more friendly form of horticultural oil on campus rather than potent forms of insecticides and generally uses an integrated pest management approach.
- Tom Nyquist stated the State of New Jersey, Storm Water Management, is changing all of the regulations regarding storm water run off and detention basins. Mike reported the detention basins at the university meet and exceed the regulatory requirements.
- Mike reported a small group met in February to discuss the need for sustainable design on campus. The group included consultants from engineering and landscaping firms, as well as representatives from the School of Architecture, Department of Engineering, and the University Architect. Mike reported the Rocky Mountain Institute or a similar organization will facilitate a design charette to identify green opportunities for the Butler College project.
- Leila Shahbender will contact Pam Hersh regarding Communiversity Day (April 24th) to see what opportunities are available for Greening Princeton and will let Barclay Satterfield know. Barclay stated Earth Week will be held the week of April 19th at the Frist Campus Center. Greening Princeton would like to have a table at Frist with PEOC information to help spread awareness about the committee.
- Janet Gruschow reported she will advertise for the summer intern position in the Daily Princetonian and Princeton Weekly Bulletin. Tom Nyquist will send Janet a paragraph for the advertisement. Tom Nyquist reported the intern Hallet Johnson ’04 is finalizing the vehicle report. Tom hopes Hallet will be able to make a presentation to the PEOC at the next meeting. There are several other initiatives that need to be addressed. Mike McKay, Tom Nyquist, and Janet Gruschow will meet to discuss the list of environmental projects and prioritize them with costs and benefits.
- The next meeting will be held in April.