Princeton Station Parking
As of March 17, 2014, parking in the commuter lot at Princeton Station on Alexander Street is by permit or a by new multi-space metered parking system.
Princeton Station Permit Parking
Transportation & Parking Services (TPS) at Princeton University is responsible for the annual issuance of the "Princeton Station" parking permits. These permits are sold to members of the local community and University faculty and staff that commute via rail from Princeton Station and live locally.
Applications are mailed annually to current permit holders and all new requests are granted based on space availability. A waiting list is maintained by the TPS staff and requests are granted in the order they are received.
The permit parking is located on the east side of the lot closest to the temporary station building and the train tracks.
Applications and check payments must be returned to:
Transportation & Parking Services
A Floor, New South Building
Princeton, NJ 08544
Checks should be payable to PRINCETON UNIVERSITY. Your name, address and phone number must appear your check.
If you would like to pay by Visa or MasterCard, in-person payment is required. Please bring your application to our office on the A Floor of New South. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
An annual Princeton Station Lot permit is $440.00.
Permits are valid between the hours of 6 am and 5 pm, Monday through Saturday. After 5 pm, and on Sundays, Princeton Station permit spaces are available for general public use.
Overnight parking is allowed only by permit in the designated permit spaces.
Refunds will be made on a monthly basis, only when a permit is returned to the Transportation & Parking Services. (Months will not be prorated — the rate of refund will be calculated beginning the first day of the month following return of the permit.)
Who to Contact
Call 609.258.3157 to contact Transportation & Parking Services with questions.
Princeton Station Metered Parking
The numbered metered parking spaces are located on the west side of the Princeton Station lot closest to Alexander Street. One multi-space pay station is located in the center of the lot, and two multi-space pay stations are located next to the temporary train platform. You can pay at any multi-space pay station.
Operating the Pay Station
- Park your vehicle.
- Note the space number on the pavement.
- Find a meter.
- Press any key to start.
- Make your language choice.
- Enter your space number.
- Choose your time option.
- Insert payment.
- Take and retain your receipt (which does NOT need to be displayed on your dashboard).
Payment can be made with $1 and $5 bills, credit cards or Smart Cards. It is illegal to put anything other than acceptable payment in a meter, or to tamper with a meter in any way.
Advanced payment options are also available.
The rate is $0.30 per hour.
Parking meters are enforced Monday through Saturday 6 am to 8 pm.
Overnight Permit Parking
Overnight parking is allowed only by permit in metered spaces. Overnight parking in non-metered spaces is prohibited. 24, 48, and 72 hour permits may be purchased through the multispace paystations.
Who to Contact
Questions and comments can be directed to the municipality’s Parking Operations staff at 609.497.7659 or through their online form.
Advanced payment options
The multi-space system allows you to pay by phone. More information will be available at a later date.
- Multilingual: The multi-space pay stations can be operated in English, Spanish, French and Mandarin.
- Sustainable: The new multi-space system is more efficient and sustainable. It allows the municipality to use fewer meters, and the meters are solar powered. The system also provides users with a wider range of payment options.
- Street parking: Metered parking (both single space and multi-space meters) will be extended to additional locations on Alexander Street and University Place in the coming months. The meters in those locations will allow for payment by coin.
- Wawa parking: When the new Princeton Station and Wawa open later this year, the retail lot will have short-term metered parking, up to 15 minutes, at all times. Those spaces will have a different pay rate.