Princeton University Student Health Plan
Student Health Plan Office locations
Garden Level, Room G24
Student Health Plan Office hours and appointments
Fax (609) 258-9191
- 2014-15 Aetna Student Health Plan Design and Benefits Summary.pdf
- Aetna Student Health Website
- Aetna Student Health Claim Form
- Express Scripts/Medco Website
- SHP Vendor Contacts for Students on University Health Plans.pdf
- International Student Guide to U.S. Healthcare
- Statement of Domestic Partnership
- Statement of Termination of Same Sex Domestic Partnership
- Tax Certification of Same Sex Domestic Partner Dependency
- SHP 2014-15 Exchange Scholar-UHS Enrollment Form.pdf
- Princeton University Comparable Coverage Criteria To Opt Out of The Student Health Plan
- Referral Requirements for Off-Campus Care
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) - What Do You Really Have to Know?
Every student is required to have health insurance coverage while enrolled at Princeton University. This health insurance must cover off-campus specialty care and hospitalization not provided at UHS. Undergraduate students may either elect to enroll in the Princeton University Student Health Plan (SHP) or waive out of the SHP by demonstrating comparable insurance coverage by the deadline published in May of each academic year. See below under GRADUATE STUDENTS for SHP enrollment requirements specific to graduate students. Students may also elect to participate in the optional vision and dental plans that provide benefits beyond those included in the SHP by the published deadline.
All full-time enrolled undergraduate students are required to be covered by the SHP for off-campus medical care and hospitalization unless they can demonstrate alternative coverage that meets the University's criteria. Students may elect to waive coverage and the fee by going to the online insurance enrollment portal MyUHS and providing their private insurance information, certifying that they have comparable coverage under another health insurance plan. See Princeton University Comparable Coverage Criteria to Opt out of University Student Health Plan under Links and Forms.
Dependent and Family Coverage
Students wishing to enroll their dependents in the SHP and/or the optional vision and dental plans must do so through the UHS insurance enrollment portal, MyUHS. Proof of dependent eligibility MUST be submitted online through MyUHS. A link is provided there for you to upload supporting documents. Examples of acceptable documentation are: Spouse (Marriage Certificate); Same-Sex Domestic Partner (Princeton University Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and supporting documentation); Children up to age 26 (Birth Certificate).
SHP Enrollment After Open Enrollment Ends
- Their alternate insurance plan has been involuntarily terminated. Proof of termination must be presented to the SHP Office within 30 days of termination in order to enroll. Costs are prorated.
- Change in the marital status of the student; addition of a new legal dependent or newborn baby. The child is automatically covered, with no fee, for 31 days from the date of birth. Students must enroll the child within the first 31 days for coverage to continue. Costs are prorated.
- Only undergraduate students who were not enrolled at Princeton University for the fall semester qualify for the spring enrollment period.