Though it is possible to set up a videoconference on a personal computer that interacts with multiple sites, this method is best suited to person-to-person sessions.
iLinc has been licensed by the University so that you can conduct and participate in this type of web-based desktop conferencing, commonly referred to as "webinars." iLinc allows a meeting host to invite an unlimited number of attendees to partake in a conference and share applications and content on the attendee workstation computers. In order to use iLinc, you must log in at https://princeton.ilinc.com, where you may request an iLinc account if it is your first time using the service.
For voice communication during the conference, you may use iLinc's Voice Over IP (VoIP) feature or you may arrange for a teleconference call.
- For frequently asked questions, see kb.princeton.edu/9984 or contact the OIT Help Desk at 258-HELP or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For step-by-step instructions on setting up a meeting, see kb.princeton.edu/9983
There are many alternatives to using University supported services. Some of the most popular and accessible services are listed here. Their inclusion does not imply OIT's endorsement or support.
- Skype - A web-based (and, thus, platform-neutral) conferencing service, Skype may be used for audio only between computers (PC and Mac), as well as video. You must sign up for a Skype account but there is no cost as long as the connection is between computers. Connection to a telephone number will incur a charge. Skype only supports one-on-one videoconferencing. Plug-ins support desktop sharing and collaboration. Fill out this form and we will contact you with more information.
- iChat - Free with most Mac computers (OS X 10.2 or later), iChat works best Mac-to-Mac and one-on-one. Desktop sharing is possible between Macs running Leopard. You must have a .mac or AIM account. Fill out this form and we will contact you with more information.
- BlueJeans Network - A cloud-based video conferencing service that makes it easy to host high quality video meetings connecting many participants, using many different devices, and supporting many combinations of video conferencing endpoints. Fill out this form and we will contact you with more information.
- Tandberg Movi - A video application that turns any PC or Mac into a mobile, high-definition video conferencing system. It requires an Internet connection, connection to a Tandberg Video Server, camera, microphone and speakers. Users can connect with other Movi users as well as those on different devices. The benefit of this solution is in its flexibility when working remotely. Fill out this form and we will contact you with more information.
- Vidyo - A video conferencing solution from any endpoint over any network that does not require expensive network upgrades. Fill out this form and we will contact you with more information.