Dear Whitmanite 2018,
You are very fortunate. You have been placed into the best residential college. Ever.
It is my distinct pleasure to welcome you to your new home, Whitman College. Not only do you have a majestic neo-Gothic castle to live in, but also, and more importantly, you have the vibrant community living within it. In Whitman, we try to make it mean something to be a “residential college” rather than a “dormitory” so that you have something to say when people ask you to explain. We hope that for the next two years (or more!) Whitman will be much more than just a place to sleep, eat, study, get to know other people, and otherwise enjoy yourself—the center of your life on campus. But the amenities alone do not make Whitman the finest of the residential colleges. Rather, this distinction stems from the invaluable contributions of our most important asset: you.
Indeed, every year it is our people who make this place truly great, illuminating the college with their creativity, enthusiasm, and thoughtfulness. Whitman will provide you with a safe and comfortable environment, outlets to engage your passions, and opportunities to discover and explore new interests with your peers. You simply have to be yourself, and I know that we will continue to boast the most spirited community of any college at Princeton.
So, where does the College Council come in? The College Council has the resources to fund, plan, and publicize just about any event you’d like to see in Whitman. Our job is to work for you, and we want you to be a demanding boss. We’re here to make sure that your residential college lives up to everything you want it to be.
With that in mind, this summer we’ve already been hard at work planning for next year. Here’s a sample of some events you can expect to see in the fall:
• College Night: Twice a month, enjoy special food and entertainment at dinner in Community Hall.
• Whitman Olympics: Forget about the World Cup. Participate in the greatest spectacle in sports when Whitman's different halls compete for dominance.
• Trips to Broadway shows: From Wicked to Lion King, keep an eye out for tickets to the best shows in New York at a highly discounted rate.
• Whitman Theater: Check out the plays, musical performances, game nights, and student-produced sketch comedy shows hosted regularly in this beautiful space. Or, try your hand out at one of our open mic nights.
• Outdoor Movies: As the leaves turn, relax in the South Courtyard and enjoy some popcorn as we screen a film or two on our Blu-Ray HD outdoor movie system.
Sound good? Let us hear your own programming ideas by e-mailing me. The Council welcomes any sort of feedback: suggestions, questions, funny jokes, however you’d like to express yourself. And that applies the whole year through.
As I said before, get excited. We all look forward to meeting you in the fall.
On behalf of the Whitman College Council,
Emmy Williams ‘15
Whitman College Council Chair