Council Positions Available
Council Positions: Spring 2010 – Fall 2010
After a year of planning fantastic social, cultural, and academic events, the tenure of the current Wilson College Council members is now coming to an end. This means that Wilson College is in need of Wilsonites who are enthusiastic about contributing to student life, and who are willing to serve in one capacity or another on the Spring 2010 - Fall 2010 College Council. Wilson Juniors and Seniors are encouraged to apply for the two Upperclass Chair positions on the Council.
The College Council is the student government of Wilson College. Its primary responsibility is to represent the interests of Wilson College students to the staff of the college, and the University as a whole. An effective College Council finds out what the resident and non-resident members of Wilson College want from the college and works with the college staff to meet those needs. The activities and events sponsored by the Council are not fixed from year to year, but should represent the interests and commitments of Wilson College students currently at the University. Examples of initiatives that have started with the Wilson College Council and other Wilson students include numerous arts and civic engagement activities, social events such as the Mr. Wilson College show, the “What’s up, Wilson” newsletter, and many projects that enhance student life in Wilson College.
Please note that all Council members are expected to attend the weekly Council meeting, which takes place on Sundays during dinner (typically at 5:00 p.m.). There is an attendance policy that is enforced by the Council chair.
PLEASE RETURN THE ATTACHED FORM TO MOLIN@PRINCETON.EDU OR THE WILSON COLLEGE OFFICE IN WILCOX BY 4:30 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25TH. INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE IN EARLY DECEMBER, AND POSITIONS WILL BE APPOINTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE SPRING SEMESTER.
Chair (1 position)
- Sets the agendas for and runs weekly Council meetings
- Meets weekly with the Director of Student Life and serves as liaison to College staff
- Oversees the various committees of the Council
Vice Chair (1 position)
- Assists Chair in all areas of organizing and running Council activities
- Runs weekly meetings when the Chair must be absent
- Acts as a liaison with the USG to represent interests of Wilson College
Secretary (1 position)
- Keeps minutes of all College Council meetings
- Distributes meeting minutes immediately following meetings
Publicity Chair (1 position)
- Make flyers, posters, and other advertisements for College events
- Maintains College Council bulletin board in Wilcox Hall, including a weekly events calendar and student birthday calendar
- Mails event announcements to Wilson College freshmen and sophomores (has access to lists)
- Actively promote through advertising and other vehicles the Wilson ceramics studio and arts studio
Communications Chairs (2 positions)
Position 1: Webmaster -- Maintains Council website
Position 2: Editor of What’s Up, Wilson newsletter -- Compiles and publishes weekly newsletter, both hard copy and website versions, with the support of the College office
- Actively investigate and report on through the newsletter the Wilson ceramics studio, arts studio, and other facilities in the college
- Video records Council events; access to Wilson College office video recorder (new for Spring 2009)
Academic Chair (1 position)
- Work with Director of Studies and Master on academic programming in the College
- Organizes events to showcase academic achievements of Wilson College students
- Offer programs such as dinner panels or poster sessions of undergrads and grads who have held various internships, etc.
Intramural Chair (1 position)
- Organizes Wilson teams for intramural competitions among colleges and clubs
- Maintains IM bulletin board in Wilcox Hall to make announcements, recruit for teams, etc.
- Help create college spirit and support for IM teams (coordinate with Publicity and Communications chairs)
- Brainstorm with Trips Chair about trips to professional sports games
Trips Chair (1 position)
- With supervision and support from the College Administrator, helps plan trips to Broadway, the Opera, the Philharmonic and the local McCarter Theatre
- Plans and publicizes “off-the-beaten-track” trips, for example to cultural events in Trenton, smaller theaters in New York, poetry slams in Harlem, etc.
- Arranges logistics for ticket distribution for trips and help with event publicity
Civic Engagement Chair (1 position)
- Plan and organize civic engagement activities specifically for Wilson students
- Work with Wilson Resident Graduate Student to plan civic engagement initiatives and related programs
- Work with Pace Center and Student Volunteers Council on campus-wide community service events
Arts Chair (1 position)
- Acts as liaison between Wilson College and student arts groups
- Works with Wilson Resident Graduate Students to plan arts-related events
- Elicits and supports ad hoc arts projects from Wilson College students
- Organizes annual Wilson College art show
- Collaborates with the Wilson art studio, ceramics studio, and dark room coordinators to organize other visual or performing arts events
International Students Chair (1 position)
- Help to cultivate a global perspective in Wilson College by encouraging the participation of all international students (including juniors and seniors no longer in residence) in college life.
- Organize events that will serve the needs of the international student population.
- May work with Wilson Resident Graduate Students to plan programs related to international students and international issues.
- Organize events that will enrich the intellectual and cultural life of the college by tapping into the knowledge and experience of international students.
Facilities Chair (1 position)
- Liaison to Dining Services, Building Services, and Housing
- Meets bi-weekly with College Administrator and Dining Services manager to bring forward student concerns related to food
- Surveys students on issues related to food, housing, and maintenance of dorms and public spaces in the college
- Communicates relevant information to students in collaboration with Communications chair
Upperclass Chairs (2 positions - open to Juniors and Seniors only)
***position description is sent separately to these classes***
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Michael Olin, Ph.D.
Director of Student Life