Everything you Need to Know about Leaving Your Room
Before You Go Check List
- Remove all personal belongings, including carpets and personal furniture.
- Remove all trash and recyclables and place in the appropriate receptacles.
- Place all discarded carpets by the nearest dumpster. (Dumpster Location Map)
- Make sure all University furniture found at Move In is in your room.
- Dismantle and remove all lofts.
- Place discarded lofts by the nearest dumpster. (Dumpster Location Map)
- Close and lock all windows in your room or suite.
- Sweep the floor.
- If you have a private bathroom, clean the bathroom.
- Reclaim any heat producing appliances or microwave oven confiscated by the Housing Inspectors.
- Reclaim any items confiscated by Public Safety or the Housing Inspectors.
- Fill out a change of address form with Princeton Mail Services if you want to have your first class mail forwarded to an address other than your home address. Note: Magazines are 2nd class mail and are not forwarded by Princeton Mail Services.
- Make appropriate plans for storage.
- Return your key to the Housing Department.
- Donate unwanted furniture, clean clothing, unused school supplies, books, bicycles.
- Lock your door upon exiting your room.
Your room will be inspected by Housing inspectors for condition and general maintenance needs.
The General Rule
Your room should be returned to the condition you found it at Move In. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the size of a pencil or smaller, larger plaster chips around holes caused from weak or poor plaster, or bike scuff marks left near bike hooks.
Rooms Left In Extraordinarily Poor Condition
If your room requires excessive cleaning and/or repair to rehabilitate it, you will incur the following penalties.
- A fine of $300.00 per resident.
- A charge to all occupants for the cleaning, maintenance, and purchases required to return the room to its original state.
Disciplinary action as decided by the appropriate disciplinary body.
Wall Repair and Painting
Please do not spackle or patch any holes or paint any part of your room. You will be liable for the repainting and repair charges incurred as the result of such actions.
Non-University Items Left In Your Room
Any non-University items left in your room after your vacate deadline will be considered abandoned and you will be charged for the cost of disposal.
You are responsible for any room damage caused by the construction or removal of a loft. If ownership of the loft can't be determined, the repair cost will be divided among all residents of the room or suite.
All University furniture found in your room at Move In must be in your room at the time of check out. You will be charged full replacement cost for any missing item(s).
Garbage and Recycling
You are responsible for placing garbage and recycling items into the dumpsters provided. Please do not leave garbage and recycling items in your room or hallways