Explanation of dataset
The dataset used in the examples is based on a data set we used in 508c last year. It presents information on 281 child support cases in Santa Clara county, California. In all these cases, the mother has physical custody of the children, and the child support payment is to be paid by the father. It has 5 variables:
- award -- the amount of the child support that was awarded
- earnmom -- the mother's monthly earnings
- earndad -- the father's monthly earnings
- nkids -- the number of children in the family
- petmom -- a binary variable equal to 1 if the mother petioned for divorce and 0 if the father petioned for divorce.
You can download the dataset if you want.