Ambia, Indiana

related topics
{household, population, family}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{county, mile, population}

Ambia is a town in Hickory Grove Township, Benton County, Indiana, United States. The population was 197 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Lafayette, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Ambia was laid out by Ezekiel M. Talbot and his wife Marietta on February 22, 1875, and named for their daughter Ambia Talbot. (The couple had two years earlier planned the nearby town of Talbot.) Its first building was a house erected by James C. Pugh which was soon joined by a grain elevator, general store and blacksmith. A drug store, hardware store, hotel, physician and a variety of other establishments followed.[4]

Ambia was a stop on the Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington Railroad (later the Lake Erie and Western) line which ran between Lafayette and Hoopeston. The Wabash Railway Company, which built a stretch of the LM&B through Illinois, originally wanted to construct a railway switch at a site known as Weaver City, a small town just west of Ambia in Vermilion County, Illinois; the owner of the property, however, refused to grant land for it. In response, the railway officials sent a force of men without notice to move the station house from Weaver City half a mile east across the state border, which they did on the Sunday morning of March 10, 1873. The town's businesses and residents followed and Weaver City faded from existence while Ambia sprang up near the station's new site.[5]

Geography

Ambia is located at 40°29′24″N 87°30′58″W / 40.49°N 87.51611°W / 40.49; -87.51611 (40.489878, -87.516200)[6] in the extreme southwest corner of the county, in Hickory Grove Township. The Kankakee, Beaverville and Southern Railroad and Indiana State Road 352 pass through the town, and the upper end of the North Fork of the Vermilion River flows nearby.[1]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.4 km²), all of it land.

Full article ▸

related documents
Clarkdale, Arizona
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
Earl Park, Indiana
Big Stone Gap, Virginia
Oxford, Indiana
Morral, Ohio
Paulding, Ohio
Ruby, Alaska
Holland, Ohio
Sutter Creek, California
Barneveld, Wisconsin
Big Flats, Wisconsin
Ohio City, Ohio
Picture Rocks, Pennsylvania
New Straitsville, Ohio
Boswell, Indiana
Woodsfield, Ohio
Brookville, Ohio
Republic, Ohio
Oak Hill, Ohio
Lucasville, Ohio
Silver Lake, Wisconsin
Neffs, Ohio
Masury, Ohio
Camden, Ohio
Vienna Center, Ohio
Bowersville, Ohio
Blacklick Estates, Ohio
Marion, Virginia
Chippewa Lake, Ohio