Andersonville, Georgia

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{water, park, boat}
{area, part, region}
{town, population, incorporate}
{township, household, population}
{village, small, smallsup}
{war, force, army}

Andersonville is a city in Sumter County, Georgia, United States. The population was 331 at the 2000 census (174 in 1910). It is located in the southwest part of the state, about 60 miles (97 km) southwest of Macon, Georgia on the Central of Georgia railroad. During the American Civil War, it was the site of a prisoner-of-war camp which is now Andersonville National Historic Site.

Andersonville is part of the Americus Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Andersonville is located at 32°11′49″N 84°8′30″W / 32.19694°N 84.14167°W / 32.19694; -84.14167 (32.197008, −84.141701)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km²), all of it land.

History

The little hamlet of Anderson was named for Mr. John Anderson who was a Director in the South Western Railroad at the time it was extended from Oglethorpe to Americus in 1853. It was known as Anderson Station until the post office was established in November 1855 and the government changed the name of the station from “Anderson” to “Andersonville” in order to avoid confusion with the Post office in Anderson, South Carolina. The Town of Andersonville, served as Supply Depot during the time of the prison,and it included a post office, a depot, a blacksmith shop and stable, a couple of general stores, two saloons, a school, a Methodist church and about a dozen houses. (Ben Dykes, who owned the land on which the prison was built, was both depot agent and postmaster.) Until the establishment of the prison, the area was entirely dependent on agriculture, and, after the close of the prison, the town continued economically dependent on agriculture. The town changed very little over the years, until 1968 when the mining of kaolin, bauxitic kaolin, and bauxite was undertaken in a big way by Mu1coa, Mullite Company of America which turned 2,000 acres (8.1 km2) of scrub oak wilderness into a massive mining and refining operation and now ships more than 2000 tons of refined ore from Andersonville each week. In 1974, long time Mayor, Lewis Easterlin and a group of concerned citizens decided to promote tourism in the town by turning the clock back on the town and make it look much as it did during the American Civil War. Now today Andersonville, Georgia welcomes tourists from all over the world who come for the history, museums, and to step back in time.

Full article ▸

related documents
Covington, Tennessee
Nooksack, Washington
Erwin, Tennessee
Nehalem, Oregon
Wynne, Arkansas
Taneytown, Maryland
Jewell, Kansas
Bedford, Ohio
Bunker, Missouri
Traer, Iowa
Gervais, Oregon
Orangeville, Utah
Comanche, Texas
Dumas, Arkansas
Cortland, Ohio
Hazlehurst, Mississippi
Leadwood, Missouri
Lometa, Texas
Bremond, Texas
Tallulah, Louisiana
Udall, Kansas
Dighton, Kansas
Plainville, Georgia
Pierce City, Missouri
Plainview, Nebraska
Crestview, Kentucky
Sulligent, Alabama
Campbellsville, Kentucky
Mobeetie, Texas
Collins, Mississippi