Andover, Kansas

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{school, student, university}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{township, household, population}
{area, part, region}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}

Andover is a city in Butler and Sedgwick counties in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 6,698. Located almost entirely in Butler County, it is part of the Wichita Metropolitan Statistical Area. Andover is well-known because of the tornado that hit the city in 1991 (see the Andover, Kansas Tornado Outbreak). The city name is often confused with Andale, Kansas, a smaller city in western Sedgwick County. Andover has a satellite campus for the Butler County Community College.

Contents

History

19th century

When the Kansas territory was first mapped, the original Andover area was called Minneha. The Indian name was later changed to Cloud City.

The first settlement in Bruno Township was in February 1869, when Vincent Smith Arrived on Dry Creek (2 Miles East of Andover Road on 21st Street). He filed his claim on May 10, 1869. Other early settlers began to arrive in the spring of 1870, and soon all the land was claimed.he First Bruno Township election was held April 9, 1872. The first township officers were N.B. Daniels, Trustee; Jacob Brown, Treasurer; J.D. Reber, Clerk; Isaac Newland and Samuel Reed, Justices of the Peace; William Riser and Isaac Stroup, Constables.Bonds totaling 18,000 dollars were issued for the extension of the Frisco Railway through Bruno Township. The Railway was completed in 1880.

G.M. Pattison homesteaded the land that became the original plot on which Andover was built. In August, 1872, Mr. Pattison was given title to this property by president Ulysses S. Grant. In February 1876, the land was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Ephraim Waggoner.

Andover's first church was what is known today as the United Methodist Church. The church started as a Sunday school in 1873.The original Post Office was established at Minneha in November 1877. Isaac Grant was the postmaster. A branch was moved to 'Cloud City' in March 1880.

In January 1880, Mr. & Mrs. Waggoner deeded 40 acres (160,000 m2) to Charles Glancey. Mr. Glancey platted the original townsite in February 1880. The legally established townsite was known as Cloud City, named after Mr. Cloud, a well-respected citizen and railroad engineer. He helped built the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad through town. The name of the town was changed from Cloud City to Andover on June 7, 1880, when Mr. Cloud had a 'falling out' with residents of the area.

Full article ▸

related documents
Hibbing, Minnesota
Bogalusa, Louisiana
Demorest, Georgia
Valley View, Texas
Giddings, Texas
Pass Christian, Mississippi
Auburn, Kansas
Pryor Creek, Oklahoma
Elk City, Oklahoma
Blair, Nebraska
Coffeyville, Kansas
Seymour, Missouri
Tiffin, Ohio
Sherman, Texas
Iola, Kansas
Carlisle, Iowa
Roslyn, Washington
Mexico, Missouri
Okemah, Oklahoma
Somersworth, New Hampshire
Roseburg, Oregon
Chatfield, Minnesota
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Bridgeport, Texas
Tucumcari, New Mexico
Killeen, Texas
Crown Point, Indiana
Hiawatha, Kansas
Mt. Angel, Oregon
Ironwood, Michigan