Arden-Arcade, California

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{area, part, region}
{line, north, south}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{government, party, election}
{law, state, case}
{work, book, publish}
{black, white, people}
{group, member, jewish}
{household, population, family}

Arden Arcade is a census-designated place (CDP) in Sacramento County, California, United States. The population was 96,025 at the 2000 census. However, the population is now estimated at 83,000 due to a change in borders after the census. It is east of the city of Sacramento and west of the community of Carmichael.

Arden Arcade is a principal locality of the Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The history of this area is documented in the "Sacramento ALC Historical Study 82", Ranch Del Paso, Office of History, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan Air Force Base, California, March 1983, by Raymond Oliver.... Originally part of a Mexican Land Grant deeded to Sutter. The Rancho Del Paso Grant was negotiated from the Mexican governor by John Sutter August 10, 1843. Then Sutter deeded the Rancho Del Paso to Eliab & Hiram Grimes and John Sinclair. Samuel Norris was the next owner of Rancho Del Paso then James Haggin. The Rancho Del Paso was purchased from Mr. Haggin's corporation, "The Rancho del Paso Land Company" in 1910 by the Sacramento Valley Colonization Company for $1.5 millon. Subdividing started in earnest in 1910..... Under owner James Ben Ali Haggin the Rancho was famous for its horse breeding, one of the horses breed on the Rancho won the Ben Ali Stakes, AKA: The Kentucky Derby. The "arcade" was the old name of a large meadow of oak trees once located on the Arcade Creek northwest of the present "Marconi Curve" on the Capital City Freeway 80. The natural occurring oak trees near the horse loading area were used to tie up hundreds of horses going to Kentucky by rail. Some trains had more than a thousand horses loaded at one time from Rancho Del Paso. The oak trees were lined up like an architectural arcade (a number of arches supporting a wall). Hence the name of the area, "Arcade". The Arcade Meadow of Oak Trees was used as a staging area to load by rail transport all horses out to Kentucky and beyond from about 1880 to 1905. There were 24 barns with 64 stalls each and out buildings to support the manpower needed for the horse racing business. The oldest surviving buildings in the area are the Arden Middle School, built in 1914, and the Del Paso Country Club, from 1919, named for the original Rancho on which it is built. The houses in the area were first built in the 1920s and 1930s as the city grew over the river, but were built in earnest later.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cary, North Carolina
Coto de Caza, California
Sunnyside, Washington
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Laguna Hills, California
Willowbrook, California
Goleta, California
Hercules, California
Fort Washington, Maryland
Oak Park, Michigan
Pikesville, Maryland
Burien, Washington
Dublin, Ohio
Lake Grove, New York
Dale City, Virginia
Dormont, Pennsylvania
Blanchard, Oklahoma
Mission Viejo, California
Danville, California
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Oak Lawn, Illinois
Alhambra, California
Sleepy Hollow, Illinois
Warrenville, Illinois
University Park, Illinois
North Bethesda, Maryland
Arapahoe, North Carolina
Solana Beach, California
Longboat Key, Florida
Bonita, California