Artesia, New Mexico

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{service, military, aircraft}
{island, water, area}
{school, student, university}
{film, series, show}
{system, computer, user}
{ship, engine, design}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}

Artesia is a city in Eddy County, New Mexico, centered at the intersection of U.S. Route 82 and 285; the two highways serve as the city's Main Street and First Street, respectively. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 10,692.

The town assumed its present name in 1903, after the discovery of an artesian aquifer in the area; artesian wells for agriculture flourished in the area until the aquifer became significantly depleted in the 1920s. The city was officially incorporated in 1905.

Artesia was a candidate for ESPN's Titletown USA feature.[1]

Contents

Geography

Artesia is located at 32°50′34″N 104°24′44″W / 32.84278°N 104.41222°W / 32.84278; -104.41222 (32.842744, -104.412315),[2] at an elevation of 3,380 feet (1,030 m).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.7 km2), of which 8.0 square miles (20.7 km2) is land and 0.13% is water.

The Pecos River is about three miles east of Artesia.

Located in Artesia

The principal economic activities which support Artesia are the oil and gas industry, agriculture and dairy. Prominent, local oil and gas businesses include Yates Petroleum, Mack Energy Corporation, and Marbob Energy Corp. In the Fall of 2010, Concho Resources will acquire most of Marbob Energy Corp's assets for nearly $1.6 billion. Holly Corporation also operates the Navajo Refinery, the largest refinery in New Mexico, at the corner of 1st and Main Street.

Artesia is home to the former Abo Elementary School, identified by One Nation Underground (ISBN 0-8147-7522-5) as the first and most likely only public school which is entirely underground and equipped to function as a fallout shelter. The school, completed in 1962, had a concrete slab roof which served as the school's playground. It contained a large storage facility with room for supplies for 2000 people in the event of nuclear warfare. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 and is located at 1802 W Centre Ave.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lynd, Minnesota
Avondale Estates, Georgia
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Okanogan, Washington
La Marque, Texas
Deer Park, Texas
Park City, Kansas
Senatobia, Mississippi
University Place, Washington
Hillsboro, Texas
Minnetrista, Minnesota
Vidor, Texas
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Fenton, Missouri
La Porte, Texas
Glenaire, Missouri
Perry, Oklahoma
Torrington, Wyoming
Farmington, Utah
Lincoln City, Oregon
Dublin, Texas
Alpine, Utah
Beach City, Texas
Mosier, Oregon
Watford City, North Dakota
Adams, Tennessee
Groesbeck, Texas
Evart, Michigan
Umatilla, Oregon
La Follette, Tennessee