Baldwinsville, New York

related topics
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{village, small, smallsup}
{water, park, boat}
{food, make, wine}
{day, year, event}
{line, north, south}
{war, force, army}
{car, race, vehicle}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{church, century, christian}

Baldwinsville is a village in Onondaga County, New York, United States. The population was 7,053 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Syracuse Metropolitan Statistical Area.

The Village of Baldwinsville is located in the Towns of Lysander and Van Buren.

Contents

History

What is known today as Baldwinsville was founded as an unnamed settlement by John McHarrie who used to provide portage across the Seneca River.

It is named after Dr. Baldwin and his wife Eliza who visited the area in 1798, returning to settle in 1808 to start the community. Dr. Baldwin built a dam across the Seneca River to generate energy and a private canal to keep the integrity of the water highway. It incorporated in 1848 as the Village of Baldwinsville.

Baldwinsville initially grew as a local center for a prosperous farming area, with a grain mill located on an island in the center of town between the old McHarrie Locks (now part of the New York State Barge Canal) and the Seneca River. It was also served by the Erie Lackawanna Railway, connecting Baldwinsville to the cities of Syracuse and Oswego. In addition to agriculture, Baldwinsville had small factories, such as Morris Machine Works, Jardine Bronze Foundry, and others. A large brewery now owned by Anheuser-Busch was constructed immediately east of the village in the mid-1970s to take advantage of ample water supplies from Lake Ontario. As agriculture and industry have receded, Baldwinsville has evolved into an attractive and picturesque riverside community.

Grace Episcopal Church, formerly of Elizabeth Street, was one of the first churches in the United States to use electric lighting.

Dozens of local farm boys are listed on the Civil War monument in the village cemetery along the Seneca River, having served and died in several units of the Union Army. Those listed on this monument served under General John A. Logan as part of William T. Sherman's army. Other units included 1st Regiment, Light Artillery, N. Y. S. Volunteers Battery B (Pettit's Battery) which fought at many major battles, including:

Full article ▸

related documents
Gulf Hills, Mississippi
Collierville, Tennessee
Ashland, Massachusetts
Cameron Park, California
Highlands, North Carolina
Guerneville, California
Lā'ie, Hawai'i
Watsonville, California
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Morrisville, North Carolina
Grace, Idaho
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Pharr, Texas
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
South Padre Island, Texas
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Adak, Alaska
Oroville, California
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Zebulon, North Carolina
Lakeport, California
Goldendale, Washington
White Sands, New Mexico
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Cody, Wyoming
Ottawa Hills, Ohio
Hampton Bays, New York
Copper Canyon, Texas
Nags Head, North Carolina
Setauket-East Setauket, New York