Bedford, Massachusetts

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{service, military, aircraft}
{line, north, south}
{son, year, death}
{school, student, university}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{game, team, player}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{specie, animal, plant}
{island, water, area}
{day, year, event}
{water, park, boat}
{government, party, election}
{album, band, music}
{city, population, household}
{village, small, smallsup}

Bedford is a town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States. It is within the Greater Boston area, 15 miles (24 km) north-west of the city of Boston. The population of Bedford was 12,595 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The following compilation comes from Ellen Abrams (1999) based on information from Abram English Brown’s History of the Town of Bedford (1891), as well as other sources such as The Bedford Sampler Bicentennial Edition containing Daisy Pickman Oakley’s articles, Bedford Vital Records, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Town Directories, and other publications from the Bedford Historical Society.

The land now within the boundaries of Bedford was first settled by Europeans around 1640. In 1729 it was incorporated from a portion of Concord (about 3/5 of Bedford) and a portion of Billerica (about 2/5 of Bedford.)

In 1630 came the arrival of John Winthrop and Thomas Dudley of the Massachusetts Bay Company. Aboard the Arabella from Yarmouth, England, Winthrop and Dudley sailed, and after a difficult ten week voyage, they landed on the shores of the New World, with Salem and Boston Harbor being the Arabella's earliest destinations. In 1637, the General Court of Massachusetts granted some 2,200 acres (9 km²) of land, including Huckins Farm land to the first resident Governor, John Winthrop and Deputy Governor Thomas Dudley. The following year, the two men agreed to divide the land so that the parcel south of the two large boulders by the Concord River (Brothers Rocks) belonged to Governor Winthrop and north of the Rocks was to belong to Deputy Governor Dudley. Later, Dudley became governor. Dudley’s son Rev. Samuel Dudley[1] and Winthrop’s daughter Mary were married, thus Brothers Rocks were so named because of this marriage of families.

Full article ▸

related documents
Brookville, New York
Front Royal, Virginia
Montecito, California
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Mooresville, North Carolina
Accokeek, Maryland
Catonsville, Maryland
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Westford, Massachusetts
Vidalia, Louisiana
Laurence Harbor, New Jersey
Orient, New York
Locust Valley, New York
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Chestertown, Maryland
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Oriental, North Carolina
Pahrump, Nevada
Harvard, Massachusetts
Whitewright, Texas
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Lake Placid, New York
Larchmont, New York
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Westvale, New York
Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia
Port Dickinson, New York
Hartsville, South Carolina
Cedarhurst, New York