Blohm + Voss

related topics
{ship, engine, design}
{company, market, business}
{build, building, house}
{language, word, form}
{city, large, area}
{water, park, boat}
{service, military, aircraft}
{math, number, function}
{work, book, publish}
{island, water, area}

Blohm + Voss (also shown historically as Blohm & Voss), is a German shipbuilding and engineering works. Today it is a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems.

Contents

History

It was founded on April 5, 1877, by Hermann Blohm and Ernst Voss as a general partnership named Blohm & Voss ( Blohm und Voss English: "Blohm and Voss"). A shipyard was built on the island of Kuhwerder, near the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, covering 15,000 m² with 250 m of water frontage and three building berths, two suitable for ships of up to 100 metres length. The company's logo is a simple dark blue rectangle with rounded corners bearing the white letters "Blohm+Voss". Until 1955 the company name was shown with the ampersand.

The company has continued to build ships and other large machines for 125 years. Despite being almost completely demolished after the end of World War II, it now builds warships both for the Deutsche Marine and for export (see MEKO), as well as oil drilling equipment and ships for numerous commercial customers.

Today Blohm + Voss is (along with Howaldtswerke at Kiel and Nordseewerke at Emden) a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems.

History during the Third Reich

With the rise of the Nazi Party to power in 1933 Germany's rearmament in violation of the Versailles Treaty was begun. This began a sudden change in fortune for the company, run then by brothers Rudolf and Walther Blohm, who was taken out of a deep crisis. Blohm & Voss, which had until then specialized in shipbuilding, also began to design and build aircraft for use by both the German state airline, Lufthansa, and the air-force, Luftwaffe. The aeronautical section of the company was named Hamburger Flugzeugbau, therefore the first planes it produced had the code "Ha", but in September 1937 the aviation subsidiary was renamed Abteilung Flugzeugbau der Schiffswerft Blohm & Voss which was later replaced by "BV".[1][citation needed] Particularly noteworthy were the large flying boats the company produced, as well as ingenious approaches to aircraft building that even featured asymmetric designs.

Full article ▸

related documents
General Dynamics Electric Boat
Aqua-lung
Rockwell International
Aviation Traders
Lightvessels in the United Kingdom
MV Virginian (T-AK 9205)
Pratt & Whitney
Rapier missile
High Mobility Artillery Rocket System
Bristol Pegasus
Supermarine
MGM-140 ATACMS
Surveyor Program
CSS Scorpion
Soviet submarine K-219
Cosmos 21
Luna 5
E-3 Sentry
Blue Steel missile
RQ-3 DarkStar
Surveyor 2
Denis Papin
Splash damage
Bilge
USS S-1 (SS-105)
Achille Lauro
HMS Dunraven
Full metal jacket bullet
S1G reactor
USS R-14 (SS-91)