Blossburg, Pennsylvania

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{service, military, aircraft}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{rate, high, increase}
{government, party, election}
{town, population, incorporate}

Blossburg is a borough in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. The population was 1,480 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

In 1792 a party of immigrants who were building the Williamson Road from Williamsport, in Lycoming County, to Painted Post in New York under the leadership of Robert and Benjamin Patterson discovered coal within the present town limits of Blossburg. When the group reached the Tioga River, they established a supply camp upon its banks.

In 1801, Aaron Bloss moved to Tioga County and in 1802, moved to the area known as "Peter’s Camp". He is considered the first settler of Blossburg. Sometime between 1818 and 1820, Aaron Bloss made the first attempt to found a town by changing the name of Peter’s Camp to Blossburg. Blossburg was finally recognized and incorporated a borough in August 1871.

The real mining history of Blossburg Coal began shortly after 1810 when David Clemens made the first effort to mine and market coal. Clemens opened a mine on Bear Run between 1812 and 1815, serving only the Painted Post area. Around the same time a lower vein was opened on Bear Run by Aaron Bloss. This vein is known as the Bloss Vein but was used only to satisfy local demands.

The first efforts of coal shipping were on a small scale due to the poor road conditions and the poor navigating ability along the Tioga River. In 1817, a coalition of Bloss and the other miners asked the legislature for funds to improve these routes. In the meantime, Blossburg Coal was being shipped to Painted Post, Elmira, and Corning.

More important than the local runs, Blossburg Coal was being shipped to Albany where it influenced railroad and canal navigation legislation, and also to Philadelphia where it attracted the enterprising businessmen.

In 1826, Judge John H. Knapp erected an iron ore smelting works within the borough limits. Knapp also opened coal mines on Coal Run and ore mines on "Barney Hill".

In July 1840, the railroad found its way through Covington from Corning, and was opened for locomotives to Blossburg in September. This railroad allowed the mines to be tapped and for their coal to be easily distributed through the Twin Tiers.

For more than 150 years, coal has played a vital role in the development of Blossburg. Today many of the mines that still exist are dormant. However Ward Manufacturing is a descendant of the Blossburg Coal mining industry and is currently the largest business operating in the Blossburg area.

On June 23, 1967, Mohawk Airlines Flight 40 crashed outside of Blossburg with a loss of all 34 passengers and crew. Flight 40 was a regularly scheduled passenger flight between Elmira, New York and Washington, DC. The aircraft was a BAC 1-11-204AF.

Geography

Blossburg is located at 41°40′39″N 77°3′56″W / 41.6775°N 77.06556°W / 41.6775; -77.06556 (41.677615, -77.065519)[1].

Full article ▸

related documents
Fredonia, New York
Elmira Heights, New York
Glade Spring, Virginia
McLean, Texas
Paw Paw, Illinois
Arlington, Illinois
Delmar, Maryland
Carpentersville, Illinois
Williamsport, Maryland
Grant Town, West Virginia
Monongah, West Virginia
Goodsprings, Nevada
Milton, North Carolina
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Keeler, California
Orangeville, Illinois
Orleans, Vermont
Capron, Oklahoma
Beersheba Springs, Tennessee
Jefferson, New Hampshire
Strathmore, California
Murphys, California
Little Mountain, South Carolina
Tutwiler, Mississippi
Ransom, Illinois
Rockville (Vernon)
Yaphank, New York
Byron, California
Johnson City, New York
York Harbor, Maine