Blountsville, Alabama

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{county, mile, population}
{school, student, university}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{@card@, make, design}
{area, community, home}
{government, party, election}
{village, small, smallsup}

Blountsville is a town in Blount County, Alabama, United States. Blount County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 6, from land ceded to the Federal government by the Creek Nation on 1814 Aug. 9. It was named for Gov. Willie G. Blount of Tennessee, who provided assistance to settlers in Alabama during the Creek War of 1813-14. It lies in the northeastern section of the state, generally known as the mineral region. Blount County is bordered by Cullman, Marshall, Etowah, Jefferson, and Walker Counties. The county is drained by the Locust and Mulberry Forks of the Black Warrior River. Blount County contains 643 square miles (1,670 km2). The Warrior coal field is located in Blount County. From 1818 to 1889, Blountsville served as the county seat. 1889 was an election year and resulted in the county seat's transfer to Oneonta.

Contents

History

What became Blountsville appears on an 1819 map as the mixed Creek/Cherokee Indian village of "Wassausey" (meaning Bear Meat Cabin, the name of an Indian translator who lived there). The town was established by Caleb Fryley and Johnny Jones in 1816 as Bear Meat Cabin. The post office was opened as Blountsville on October 20, 1825 and incorporarted on December 13, 1827. It was the county seat until 1889 when the government was moved to Oneonta.

There were many schools in the town in the early years: The Academy, Blount College and the District Agricultural School, plus the public schools. Blount County Courthouse and jail was built in 1833 and remained there until it was moved to Oneonta. A major crossroads in early Alabama, Blountsville became a Confederate depot for the cavalry. General N. Bedford Forrest and General Abel Streight skirmished briefly in the town on May 1, 1863, and Major General Lovell H. Rousseau and his cavalry occupied the town in July 1864. Blount College was in the building that was originally the courthouse. It was established in 1890. The beautiful Blountsville United Methodist Church was established in 1818 and is still in use today.

The oldest building in Blountsville was once known as the Barclift House. Built in 1834 as Hendricks Tavern, it is now owned and is being restored by the Ortiz Family.

Attractions

The Copeland-Bussey House, built c. 1835, is one of the oldest structures in northeast Alabama. The building has been stabilized by the Alabama Historic Preservation Alliance and the Blountsville Historical Society.

The Freeman House, built circa 1825, was damaged by a storm and the two-story brick dwelling was rebuilt, using the same bricks, into a one story. The porches face the historic Meat Cabin Rd. and the other porch faces U.S. Highway 231. An annual reenactment is held on the grounds. The structure has been renovated by the Blountsville Historical Society and now serves as a museum and visitors' center on a part-time basis. During the reenactment it is furnished with period furnishings and is open to the public for tours.

The Thomas Nation House, circa 1835, is now a ruin due to a storm that took all but one and one half walls down in 1998 before the house could be stabilized. The ruins can still be seen from the U.S. Highway 231.

Blountsville is also home to the Spring Valley Beach Water Park, one of the few water parks in the lower Sand Mountain area. As of June 2008 Spring Valley Beach contains a large swimming pool and four water slides.

Full article ▸

related documents
Bear Creek, Alabama
St. Paris, Ohio
Dewey-Humboldt, Arizona
St. Nazianz, Wisconsin
Williamsport, Indiana
Burwash Hall
Glen Lyon, Pennsylvania
Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
Somerleyton
Bound Brook, New Jersey
Waterville, Washington
Martindale, Texas
Bono, Arkansas
San Clemente, California
Thomas Bouch
New Boston, Texas
Toccoa, Georgia
Tombstone, Arizona
Struthers, Ohio
Crawfordsville, Indiana
Knoxville, Illinois
Grants, New Mexico
Greenville, Indiana
Scouting in New Hampshire
Armada, Michigan
Catacombs of Paris
Hymera, Indiana
Ohio City, Ohio
Deadwood, South Dakota
Sutter Creek, California