Brackettville, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{war, force, army}
{city, large, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{water, park, boat}
{language, word, form}
{area, community, home}
{county, mile, population}
{film, series, show}
{ship, engine, design}
{service, military, aircraft}

Brackettville is a city in Kinney County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,876 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Kinney County[3].

Contents

History

Founded in 1852 as Las Moras (the name of a nearby spring and the creek it feeds), the town initially was a supply stop on the old San Antonio-El Paso road and a supply depot for the U.S. Army's Fort Clark (the fort was established the same year). Later the town was named Brackett for the owner of the first dry goods store in the area, and in 1873 when a post office was awarded "ville" was appended to the name to differentiate from another town.

The town grew quickly through the 19th century as Fort Clark grew, but the town's existence remained very strongly tied to Fort Clark's fortunes. Fort Clark was for many years home to the famous Buffalo Soldiers--and, demographically, Brackettville had a larger proportion of Black Seminoles (people of mixed African American and Seminole ancestry) than the rest of West Texas. Their language, Afro-Seminole Creole, is still spoken by some in Brackettville.

After the Buffalo Soldiers moved out of Fort Clark, the fort remained a cavalry post, and virtually every cavalry unit in the U.S. Army was stationed at or trained at Fort Clark at one time or another. In 1943, the U.S. Army activated the Second Cavalry, which was to be the Army's last horse-mounted unit. By 1944, even the Second had been mechanized, and Fort Clark, so long a center of mounted cavalry, was targeted for closure. Before its closure, the fort was used as a German prisoner-of-war camp.

After the fort officially closed in 1946, it had a variety of uses, until in 1971 it was converted into a resort/retirement center. The historic district of the fort is now on the National Register of Historic Places. However, the resort is not the economic engine the fort once was, and Brackettville has shrunk from its peak population during the war years.

North of town is a tourist attraction called Alamo Village, built in the 1950s as the set of John Wayne's movie The Alamo. Scenes from the 1969 comedy Viva Max! were shot here. As of July 2009, Alamo Village has been tentatively closed to the public but is still available for film production and special events such as weddings and receptions.[4]

Geography

Brackettville is located at 29°18′55″N 100°24′54″W / 29.31528°N 100.415°W / 29.31528; -100.415 (29.315349, -100.415120)[5].

Full article ▸

related documents
Magnolia, Mississippi
Mobeetie, Texas
Sunray, Texas
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Tallulah, Louisiana
Adair Village, Oregon
Bremond, Texas
Gideon, Missouri
Fillmore, Utah
Port Gibson, Mississippi
Charlestown, Indiana
Washington, Arkansas
Grass Valley, California
Crawford, Nebraska
West Point, Kentucky
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Binford, North Dakota
Manning, South Carolina
Lometa, Texas
Dumas, Arkansas
Falmouth, Kentucky
Okolona, Mississippi
Iowa Park, Texas
Pleasant View, Utah
La Habra, California
Soap Lake, Washington
Comanche, Texas
Hamlin, Texas
Collins, Mississippi
Stone Mountain, Georgia