Brandon, Florida

related topics
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{household, population, female}
{household, population, family}
{son, year, death}
{school, student, university}
{game, team, player}
{album, band, music}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{city, population, household}
{group, member, jewish}
{township, household, population}

Brandon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hillsborough County, Florida, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 77,895; according to the American Fact Sheet, the community had a population in 2007 of 90,470, which is an increase of 16.1% or 12,575 people.[4]

Contents

History

Founding

Its history began on January 20, 1857, when John Brandon arrived at Fort Brooke (now Tampa) from Mississippi with his wife Martha and six sons. At first he moved his family to what is now the Seffner area. Then in August 1858, John Brandon, purchased 40 acres (160,000 m2) in the New Hope area (now Brandon). and 160 acres (0.65 km2) later on and then named his land Brandon. John and Victoria's house was located on what would become the corner of Knights and Victoria Street. Four years later, the New Hope Church was built on land donated by Brandon. Besides being the first church in the community, it also served as Brandon's first school.

After John's passing in 1886 and Martha's passing, Victoria, John's second wife he married after Martha's passing, took a leading role in the community. The community's first post office was opened in Victoria's home, when she became the postmistress.

In 1890, the Florida Central and Peninsula Railroad came through the area, encouraging the people of New Hope to build a depot on Moon Avenue. Victoria convinced a civil engineer for the railroad to survey the area and lay out a town site. He surveyed 40 acres (160,000 m2) and prepared a map, and Victoria named the town Brandon, after her husband John Brandon. The main landmark Stowers Funeral Home is a famous landmark in Brandon, built by John Brandon's son James.

Full article ▸

related documents
Brookeville, Maryland
Wayne, Illinois
Carmel, Indiana
Groveland, Massachusetts
Bon Air, Virginia
Oelwein, Iowa
Springfield, Virginia
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Lincolnwood, Illinois
Rowland Heights, California
Clarion, Iowa
Langley Park, Maryland
Fountain Valley, California
Alamo, California
Mill Valley, California
Wheaton, Illinois
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
Katy, Texas
Citrus Heights, California
Ferndale, Michigan
Sea Ranch Lakes, Florida
Granite City, Illinois
Palm Desert, California
Cedar Hill, Texas
El Dorado Hills, California
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Streamwood, Illinois
North Miami, Florida
Magna, Utah
Lake in the Hills, Illinois