Burlington, New Jersey

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{school, student, university}
{land, century, early}
{church, century, christian}
{area, community, home}
{city, population, household}
{group, member, jewish}
{war, force, army}
{black, white, people}
{company, market, business}
{line, north, south}
{household, population, family}
{@card@, make, design}
{work, book, publish}
{town, population, incorporate}

Burlington is a city in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States and a suburb of Philadelphia. As of 2007, the city population was 9,485.

Burlington was first incorporated on October 24, 1693, and was reincorporated by Royal Charter on May 7, 1733. After American independence, the city was incorporated by the State of New Jersey on December 21, 1784. On March 14, 1851, the city was reincorporated and enlarged.[7]

Burlington was originally the county seat of Burlington County, but in the 1900s as the population moved away from the Delaware River the county seat was moved to a more central location, Mount Holly.

Contents

History

The council of West Jersey Proprietors purchased roughly thirty miles of riverfront land in 1676 from the Lenape Native Americans. Burlington was founded on part of that land by settlers (primarily Quakers) in 1677, and served as the capital of the province of West Jersey until 1702.

Burlington takes its name (including the county name) from the English east-coast town of Bridlington, of which, Burlington was a district but is now amalgamated into the larger Bridlington town.

The Quakers formally established their congregation in 1678. Initially, they met in private homes and between 1683 and 1687, Francis Collings constructed a hexagonal meeting house of brick. Over the next century the membership grew substantially and a larger building was needed. The present meeting house on High Street was built in 1783 in front of the old meeting house and cemetery. The cemetery predated the first building. A tablet commemorates the fact that of the Indian leader King Ockanickon, a loyal friend of the English settlers, was buried here in 1681. The oldest gravestone is inscribed "D.B. 1726." Many notable Quakers are also buried here.[8]

Full article ▸

related documents
Barnegat Light, New Jersey
Gold rush
Hendon
Kent, Ohio
Highbury
Booneville, Arkansas
Odenville, Alabama
Ware Shoals, South Carolina
Carthage, Missouri
Agawam, Massachusetts
Metolius, Oregon
Princetown
Huntington, Utah
Helper, Utah
Douglas, Arizona
Darlington, South Carolina
Roby, Texas
Red Bay, Alabama
Tuttle, North Dakota
Borger, Texas
Rincon, Georgia
Richlands, Virginia
Monticello
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Christiansburg, Ohio
Titusville, Pennsylvania
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Scottsboro, Alabama
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Fairbury, Illinois