Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana

related topics
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}
{household, population, female}
{county, mile, population}
{land, century, early}
{law, state, case}
{government, party, election}
{church, century, christian}
{area, community, home}

Calcasieu Parish[p] (French: Paroisse de Calcasieu) is a parish located in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The parish seat is Lake Charles. As of 2000, the parish population was 183,577. Calcasieu Parish is part of the Lake Charles Metropolitan Statistical Area with a population of 193,568 as well as the Lake Charles–Jennings Combined Statistical Area with a population of 225,003.

Calcasieu Parish was created March 24, 1840, from the parish of Saint Landry, one of the original nineteen civil parishes established by the Louisiana Legislature in 1807. The original parish seat was chosen as Comasaque Bluff, that was east of the river and later called Marsh Bayou Bluff. On December 8, 1840, the seat of justice was named Marion. Jacob Ryan was successful, in 1852, in having the parish seat moved from Marion to the east bank of Lake Charles. As the population in this area grew over the years, the original Calcasieu Parish has since been divided into five smaller parishes. The original area of Calcasieu Parish is called Imperial Calcasieu.

Contents

History

Full article ▸

related documents
Screven, Georgia
Ansted, West Virginia
Placerville, Idaho
Mineral, Illinois
D'Lo, Mississippi
Mackinaw, Illinois
Palo Cedro, California
Abernathy, Texas
Elkhart, Illinois
Shenandoah, Virginia
Spring Valley, Illinois
Nolanville, Texas
Trumbull, Nebraska
Noble, Illinois
Huntington, Utah
Milford, Iowa
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Douglas, Arizona
Cheswick, Pennsylvania
Agawam, Massachusetts
Paris, Arkansas
Forest City, Pennsylvania
Rosendale, New York
Swanton, Nebraska
Upland, Indiana
Richlands, Virginia
Scottsboro, Alabama
Metolius, Oregon
Helper, Utah
Odenville, Alabama