Carpentersville, Illinois

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}
{village, small, smallsup}
{line, north, south}
{government, party, election}
{@card@, make, design}
{country, population, people}
{day, year, event}
{mi², represent, 1st}

Carpentersville is a village in Kane County, Illinois, United States. The population was 30,586 at the 2000 census.[1]

Contents

Geography

Carpentersville is located at 42°7′16″N 88°16′29″W / 42.12111°N 88.27472°W / 42.12111; -88.27472 (42.121156, -88.274679)[2].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 19.7 km² (7.6 mi²) of it (1.97%) is water.

History

Carpentersville was first settled by Charles Valentine Carpenter and his brother, Daniel. In 1837, the two brothers, en route to the Rock River, made camp along the east bank of the Fox River to wait out the spring floods that made continuing their oxcart journey impossible. They ended up staying in the area to settle what was then called Carpenters' Grove. In 1851 Charles's son, Angelo, platted the land and renamed the town Carpentersville, which was incorporated in 1887. He acquired a dam and then a mill, which he converted into a yarn and flannel factory. cause od

In 1864 Carpenter established an iron foundry and blacksmith shop called the Illinois Iron & Bolt Company. The company later acquired the Star Manufacturing Company, which produced agricultural machinery. During the 1870s and 1880s German, Swedish, and Polish immigrants came to work in the factories. Carpenter housed the workers, built a church, and held cultural events. Although he moved to Elgin in 1875, Carpenter continued his business interests in Carpentersville. He persuaded the Chicago & North Western Railroad to extend its tracks from East Dundee to the area and built an iron bridge with his own funds to accommodate the rail line. By 1912 Carpenter's two companies employed 2,000 people. Star Manufacturing remained in Carpentersville until 1977.

For the next hundred years, Carpentersville did not grow as rapidly as other Fox River communities which had more direct rail connections to Chicago.[3] The electric interurban railroad came to Carpentersville in 1896. The line was built by the Carpentersville, Elgin and Aurora Railway from a connection with the streetcar system in Elgin, Illinois and ran for four miles, terminating at the Illinois Iron and Bolt foundry on Main Street. This company changed ownership several times, including the Aurora, Elgin and Chicago Railway. It ended up being owned by the Aurora, Elgin and Fox River Electric Company in 1924. This line was always operated separately from the rest of the system, which included all traction lines between Carpentersville and Yorkville. This was a great convenience to factory workers who traveled to Elgin and for Elgin workers to come to Carpentersville. The line was used by everyone to enjoy Elgin's Trout Park and to enjoy the "summer cars" for a cool ride. The line started to fail with the onset of the Great Depression and the establishment and paving of Illinois Route 31, which encouraged automobile use and the creation of a bus route. The final blow came in 1933, when a tornado destroyed the bridge over the Fox River just south of West Dundee.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Delmar, Maryland
Capron, Oklahoma
Orangeville, Illinois
Orleans, Vermont
Arlington, Illinois
Keeler, California
Grant Town, West Virginia
Paw Paw, Illinois
Johnson City, New York
Blossburg, Pennsylvania
Tutwiler, Mississippi
McLean, Texas
Elmira Heights, New York
Ivins, Utah
Ardsley, New York
Ransom, Illinois
Murphys, California
Goodsprings, Nevada
Fredonia, New York
Virginia City, Montana
Rising Sun, Maryland
Volant, Pennsylvania
Glade Spring, Virginia
Albers, Illinois
Byron, California
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Luke, Maryland
Jackson, New Hampshire
Strathmore, California
Grand Cane, Louisiana