Carteret, New Jersey

related topics
{household, population, female}
{black, white, people}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}
{son, year, death}
{rate, high, increase}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{group, member, jewish}
{day, year, event}
{line, north, south}
{country, population, people}
{town, population, incorporate}

Carteret is a borough in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 20,709.

What is now Carteret was originally created as the borough of Roosevelt on April 11, 1906, from portions of Woodbridge Township, based on the results of a referendum approved on May 22, 1906. The name was changed to Carteret as of November 7, 1922. The borough was also called Carteret during the period from December 19, 1921, to January 16, 1922.[6]


Contents

History

Named for Sir George Carteret, one of the first proprietors of New Jersey, and/or his son Philip Carteret, who served as the first Royal Governor of New Jersey.

History at a Glance

Carteret was a part of the Woodbridge Township until 1906 when it became the Borough of Roosevelt. In 1922, the name was again changed to the Borough of Carteret.

The history of Carteret is rooted in the years preceding the American Revolution.

On a direct route between New York and Philadelphia, Carteret became a favorite excursion area. It is believed that George Washington traveled over the Blazing Star Trail, the main route through the Borough.

Early settlers included the English, Dutch, Swedes, and Scots. The population increased steadily as the town developed into a prosperous center for trade. Over time a number of farms came to characterize the landscape, and produced a variety of fruits, vegetables, poultry, and cattle.

In the early 19th century, Carteret was a vital part of the greater region because of its roads leading inland along the waterfront. It was the last landing place for ferries which provided transportation to and from New York.

Today’s West Carteret section was a farming community known as Rahway Neck, inhabited by 15 or 20 families. The waterfront of Staten Island Sound began to attract manufacturing enterprises, and soon a settlement of importance was developed enough to warrant the location of a post office which was called Carteret. In 1906 two post offices were established in the Borough, one in Carteret proper and the other in the Chrome section. The two locations were merged in 1922 into its present location.

Full article ▸

related documents
Coushatta, Louisiana
Cut and Shoot, Texas
Solvay, New York
Watchung, New Jersey
Atascocita, Texas
Carle Place, New York
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Hillburn, New York
Huntersville, North Carolina
Fairview, Texas
Cinco Ranch, Texas
Hope Mills, North Carolina
Wintersville, Ohio
Endwell, New York
Cragsmoor, New York
Bellport, New York
Lakeland, New York
Hybla Valley, Virginia
Carnegie, Oklahoma
Exton, Pennsylvania
Greenville, Westchester County, New York
Wainscott, New York
Tarrytown, New York
Edgecliff Village, Texas
Manorville, New York
Pendleton, New York
Rye Brook, New York
Hillcrest, Rockland County, New York
Sims, North Carolina
Harleysville, Pennsylvania