Cassadaga, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{water, park, boat}
{line, north, south}
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{law, state, case}
{village, small, smallsup}
{land, century, early}
{car, race, vehicle}
{food, make, wine}
{company, market, business}
{ship, engine, design}
{city, population, household}
{county, mile, population}
{township, household, population}

Cassadaga is an incorporated village located in Chautauqua County, New York, in the United States. The village is located within the northeast corner of the Township of Stockton, east of the village of Stockton, south of and immediately adjacent to Lily Dale in the Town of Pomfret, and north of the village of Sinclairville.

Contents

History

"Cassadaga" is a Seneca Indian name meaning "water under the rocks", descriptive not only of the natural springs of the area flowing from glacial moraines, but that in dry weather, many of the local streams would 'disappear': the spring fed water running wholly within the gravelly bottom of the stream beds draining from the surrounding hills.

The Village of Cassadaga was settled in 1848 at the headwaters of the technically navigable Cassadaga Creek, though the upper few miles of it are not practically so today due to numerous shallows and beaver activity along its course.

The village was formally incorporated in 1921.

Early settlers utilized the abundant and large trees (some exceeding 5' (1.5m) in diameter) as a primary source of income, often sent via log rafts and flatboat on the creek as timber, charcoal and pearl ash: the later two products in demand in the early industrial age.

The Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh Railroad, which laid track from Dunkirk, New York and eventually to Warren, Pennsylvania passed on the west side of the Cassadaga Lakes in the spring of 1871. The tracks ran through the then adjoining hamlet of Burnhams which was later annexed by the village. The Railroad contributed greatly to the economy of the area, both as a source of population growth and visitors to the lakes and rolling hills for recreation, and for transportation of the forest and farm products of the area to more urban centers, as well as for ice harvested from the lakes in winter for refrigeration. The Webster Citizens Company ice house stood on the west shore of the Upper Lake with a three car rail siding to serve it, and was listed as a railroad business as late as 1931. The Cassadaga Spring Water Company had a siding on the Middle lake where it bottled water from a leased spring on the north side of the Glenn Halladay farm for shipment by rail to city customers primarily in Buffalo, New York, though it had ceased operations by the late 1920s as municipal water supply systems improved. The rail line was abandoned after extensive flood damage near Sinclairville from hurricane Agnes in 1972, and subsequently removed.

Full article ▸

related documents
Schroon Lake, New York
Nags Head, North Carolina
Tangier, Virginia
Matinicus Isle, Maine
Niantic (East Lyme)
Lake Barcroft, Virginia
Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania
Richford, New York
Snoqualmie Pass, Washington
Gig Harbor, Washington
Long Lake, New York
Greig, New York
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Cornwall, New York
Winthrop, Washington
South Padre Island, Texas
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Woodville, Ohio
Stowe, Vermont
Wendell, North Carolina
Nanuet, New York
Hot Springs, North Carolina
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Napeague, New York
Wimberley, Texas
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Chantilly, Virginia
Kent, New York
Ticonderoga, New York