Castle Dale, Utah

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{city, population, household}
{island, water, area}
{company, market, business}
{school, student, university}
{county, mile, population}
{rate, high, increase}
{area, part, region}
{town, population, incorporate}
{system, computer, user}
{@card@, make, design}
{day, year, event}
{church, century, christian}

Castle Dale is a city in Emery County, Utah, United States. The population was 1,657 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Emery County.[3]

Contents

History

Castle Dale, the seat of Emery County government, is located on Cottonwood Creek in Castle Valley, a region of benchlands and river valleys bounded by the Wasatch Plateau to the west and the striking buttes, mesas, and canyons of the San Rafael Swell to the east. The high plateau barrier and the ruggedness of the Castle Valley landscape delayed settlement of the region until the late 1870s, when population growth and expanding livestock herds in Utah's central valleys stimulated a search for new agricultural and grazing lands. In 1875, brothers Orange Seely and Justus Wellington Seely, Jr., first brought the Mount Pleasant cooperative cattle and sheep herds to winter on Cottonwood Creek. On 22 August 1877 Brigham Young issued a formal call for settlers to locate in Castle Valley, the last such directive from the "Great Colonizer" before his death on 29 August. Orange Seely was appointed LDS bishop of the entire region east of the Wasatch Plateau, including present-day Emery, Carbon, and Grand counties. Local tradition describes Bishop Seely as a man of immense girth who made his pastoral rounds riding one mule and leading another laden with staple food items to be distributed to needy families, blacksmith tools for the shoeing of horses and sharpening of plowshares, and dental forceps to remove aching teeth.

The 1880 census found 237 people residing on homesteads strung along more than six miles (10 km) of Cottonwood Creek. In that year two townsites were surveyed, one known as Upper Castle Dale and the other as Lower Castle Dale. In 1882 Upper Castle Dale took the name Orangeville in honor of Orange Seely, even though he resided in the lower town. The two communities, only three miles apart, have had closely related histories, but Castle Dale has been home to the main public institutions.

The period from 1890 to 1910 brought a doubling of Castle Dale's population, from 409 to 848. The town expanded from the original plat on a sloping shelf beside the creek onto the adjacent benchlands. A two-story brick courthouse was erected in 1892. The Emery Stake Academy, founded in 1889 as the first high-school level educational institution in southeastern Utah, occupied a new two-story brick building in 1899, then moved in 1910 to a larger three-story building on the bench. This period also saw the town's incorporation (1900), the building of several commercial structures, the establishment (in 1900) of a weekly newspaper, the Emery County Progress, the first electric service (1906), and the Emery County Bank (1906).

The following decades saw little additional growth but did bring improvements in public services. A culinary water system and a telephone system were installed in about 1914. In 1922 the Emery Stake Academy was sold to the Emery County School District and became Central High School.

Full article ▸

related documents
York, South Carolina
Providence, Utah
Guyton, Georgia
Knoxville, Illinois
Stanford, Kentucky
Greenback, Tennessee
Lebanon Junction, Kentucky
Eddyville, Kentucky
Asheboro, North Carolina
Underwood, Iowa
Grants, New Mexico
Dewey-Humboldt, Arizona
Lindon, Utah
Clifton, Texas
Sherman, Texas
Carroll, Iowa
Deadwood, South Dakota
Columbiaville, Michigan
West, Texas
Sac City, Iowa
Placerville, California
Yoakum, Texas
Media, Pennsylvania
Darien, Illinois
Greenville, Indiana
New Boston, Texas
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Pond Creek, Oklahoma
Trenton, Michigan
Silver City, New Mexico