Castle Douglas

related topics
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{water, park, boat}
{specie, animal, plant}
{island, water, area}
{game, team, player}
{album, band, music}
{food, make, wine}
{country, population, people}
{church, century, christian}

Coordinates: 54°56′28″N 3°55′44″W / 54.941°N 3.929°W / 54.941; -3.929

Castle Douglas (Gd: Caisteal Dhùghlais), a town in the south of Scotland in Dumfries and Galloway, lies in the eastern part of Galloway known as the Stewartry, between the towns of Dalbeattie and Gatehouse of Fleet.

Contents

History

Castle Douglas is built next to Carlingwark Loch in which traces of prehistoric crannogs can be found, evidence of early inhabitation of the area. In fact, until 1792, when Sir William Douglas made changes; Castle was aptly named for the local loch, and known as Carlingwark.[3] To the North of the town Glenlochar is the site of two successive Roman forts, the first being erected during the invasion of Agricola and the second during the Antonine period, they appear to have been for cavarly units and evidence has been found that a "victus" grew up around them, they were abandoned completely about 160[4].

Nearby Threave Castle was a seat of the powerful "Black" Earls of Douglas. A small collection of cottages developed by the shores of Carlingwark, which was a source of marl. These cottages can still be seen on the Western approach to Castle Douglas and are known as the Buchan. The development of a military road through Galloway, built by General Wade after Jacobite rising of 1745, passed through the Carlingwark area and improved transportation connections in the 18th century.

Castle Douglas was founded in 1792 by a wealthy descendant of the Douglas family, William Douglas, who made his money in an 'American Trade' and created a planned town on the shores of Carlingwark Loch. The town's layout is based upon the grid plan pattern of streets as used in Edinburgh's New Town, built around the same time. Sir William Douglas also created a number of industries in Castle Douglas, including hand-woven cotton factories from which Cotton Street derives its name.

Full article ▸

related documents
Thornhill, Cardiff
Assen
Wuppertal
Transportation in Argentina
Brazzaville
Weimar
Cherbourg-Octeville
Frederikshavn
Subterranean London
Purley, London
London Borough of Hounslow
Deux-Sèvres
Rzeszów
Apia
Ilkley
Sudbury, Suffolk
Coulsdon
Teruel
Calais
Wallington, London
Concepción, Chile
Doesburg
České Budějovice
Khabarovsk
West End of London
Feltham
Wodonga, Victoria
Sosnowiec
Leeuwarden
Portland Street