Catlettsburg, Kentucky

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{island, water, area}
{line, north, south}
{household, population, family}
{land, century, early}
{company, market, business}
{group, member, jewish}

Catlettsburg is a city in Boyd County, Kentucky, United States and is the county seat of Boyd County. The city population was 1,960 at the 2000 census. The city's postal ZIP code serves a greater population of 10,029, which is a better reflection of the community's size.[1] Catlettsburg is a part of the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 288,649. Since the early 1990s, the commercial sector has grown due to its proximity to Interstate 64 and its location along U.S. Route 23 and 60, both major regional arteries which overlap in Catlettsburg and travel into the city of Ashland. Many commercial developments have developed on the southern end of the city along these routes. Mayor Pauline S. Hunt, won the election by a considerable margin in November 2008 beating out incumbent James A. Lambert by more than double. Mrs Hunt previously served as city treasurer from 1974-1992 and later as city clerk/treasurer from 1992 to 2008.

Contents

History

Early history

The history of Catlettsburg began shortly after the American Revolution. As the American Frontier pushed westward, a post office was established here in 1808 as "Mouth of Sandy, Ky.". Later in 1849, James Fry, a civil engineer, was commissioned to lay out the original town of Catlett's Burgh (the area from 24th to 26th streets, and Front to Walnut Streets). The lots were quickly sold and the town was incorporated as a Kentucky city in 1858 as Catlett's Burgh, Ky. It was named in honor of the original settlers, Horatio and Alexander Catlett. The Catlett name remains on a tributary to the Ohio River, Catlett's Creek, which follows Kentucky Route 168 for many miles west of the city. Catlettsburg annexed two nearby communities on its borders in the early 20th century: Hampton City on the south side and Sandy City on the north. It is unknown when the name was changed to Catlettsburg from Catlett's Burgh but was probably done by the U.S. Postal Service prior to 1900 in an attempt to improve service and simplify operations.

Two brothers, Virginian fur traders Alexander and Horatio Catlett, settled here in 1811-1812. For several years the Catlett brothers operated a successful tavern, post office, trading post, and inn from the log dwelling they began building in 1811. Catering to the growing Ohio River traffic, the Catlett business flourished and the town slowly grew up around it.

Full article ▸

related documents
Westbrook, Maine
Beech Grove, Indiana
Surprise, Arizona
Acworth, Georgia
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Harper Woods, Michigan
Takoma Park, Maryland
Wylie, Texas
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Fairfax, Virginia
Madison Heights, Michigan
Blaine, Minnesota
Coppell, Texas
Westland, Michigan
Overland Park, Kansas
Ontario, Oregon
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Maywood, California
Leslie, Michigan
Hammond, Indiana
Stockbridge, Georgia
Olathe, Kansas
University Park, Texas
Sartell, Minnesota
Peoria, Arizona
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Kennesaw, Georgia
Grapevine, Texas
Grand Prairie, Texas
Rahway, New Jersey