Chinese Camp, California

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{country, population, people}
{county, mile, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Chinese Camp is a census-designated place (CDP) in Tuolumne County, California, United States. The population was 146 at the 2000 census. It lies in the grassy foothills of the Sierra near the southern end of California's Gold Country.

Contents

History

Chinese Camp is the remnant of a notable California Gold Rush mining town. The settlement was first known as "Camp Washington" or "Washingtonville" and one of the few remaining streets is Washington Street. Some of the very first Chinese laborers arriving in California in 1849 were driven from neighboring Camp Salvado and resettled here, and the area started to become known as "Chinee" or "Chinese Camp" or "Chinese Diggings". At one point the town was home to an estimated 5,000 Chinese. Consequently, there were several Joss houses.

The Chinese Camp post office was established in the general store on April 18, 1854. This building is currently vacant, and a post office is in operation on a plot of land rented from a local resident.

An 1892 Tuolumne County history indicates that, in 1856, four of the six Chinese companies (protective associations) had agents here and that the first tong war (between the Sam Yap and Yan Woo tongs) was fought near here when the population of the area totaled several thousand. The actual location is several miles away, past the 'red hills', near the junction of Red Hills Road and J-59.

An 1860 diary says Chinese Camp was the metropolis for the mining district, with many urban comforts. While placer mining had played out in much of the Gold Country by the early 1860s, it was still active here as late as 1870. An 1899 mining bulletin listed the total gold production of the area as near US$2.5 million.

Chinese Camp is the location and subject of California Historical Landmark 423 - The Saint Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church, established in 1849, making it the oldest church in the county. The church was renovated in 1949 by John Nicolini and is still maintained out of private funds by a local resident. The church itself is owned by the Stockton archdiocese.

The current Chinese Camp School is very distinctive, having been designed by Dolores Nicolini in the style of a Chinese pagoda. This school has been in operation since 1970. Previously, the school was in a building near the church. This building was lost in a fire on May 4, 2006. The fire was caused by carelessness on the part of several local individuals.

Geography

Full article ▸

related documents
Blacksburg, South Carolina
Manley Hot Springs, Alaska
Chitina, Alaska
Franklinton, North Carolina
Weleetka, Oklahoma
Cross Plains, Texas
Ransom, Illinois
Chalmette, Louisiana
Rising Sun, Maryland
Raleigh, Mississippi
Rainier, Washington
Hyder, Alaska
Waltonville, Illinois
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Byron, California
Yorktown, Indiana
Wachapreague, Virginia
Wallace, Indiana
Luke, Maryland
Gibbs, Missouri
Crewe, Virginia
Johnson City, New York
Kalkaska, Michigan
Felton, California
Albers, Illinois
Cyril, Oklahoma
Murphys, California
McCarthy, Alaska
Dix, Illinois
Milford, Michigan