Christiansburg, Ohio

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, family}
{land, century, early}
{son, year, death}
{line, north, south}
{food, make, wine}
{village, small, smallsup}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}

Christiansburg is a village in Champaign County, Ohio, United States. The population was 553 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

An early settler to Jackson Township was Joshua Howell, the founder of Christiansburg, who came from around Christiansburg, Virginia in 1808, with his wife Mary and eight children; Joshua, John, Thomas, James, Daniel, Jermiah, Abigail, and Nancy. He located on Section 31, which is within the corporate limits of Christiansburg. He and his sons built a crude log cabin, near a large spring of water. A tract of land was cleared for food for the family. The Howells planting a fruit bearing orchard.

The Howells had a large sugar camp where they made large quantities of sugar every year to sell to the early settlers. Daniel Howell (one of the sons), had been married in Virginia; he brought his wife and family to Ohio and he entered 80 acres (320,000 m2) of land west of town by the West Fork Honey Creek, where he built a log cabin, In 1818 he built a brick house which still exists.

After nine years the younger Joshua Howell conceived the idea for a town. He created a diagram of the town, consisting of 42 lots. The town was started at his sugar camp, extended south four blocks south, and east and west three blocks. He felled the trees, dug the stumps, laid out streets and named them north to south Westville, Piqua, Urbana, Troy and Pike. From east to west Monroe, Miami (now called Main) and Dayton Streets. Three years later, there were only six log huts, and for 12 years the town grew slowly.

In 1829 William McKrea arrived from Scotland with his family and opened a store. Because of his business ability the hamlet began to grow. He erected a small building on the north east corner of Main and Second Street which was the first frame structure in the village. His stock consisted of groceries, dried meats, fruits, nails, glassware, hardware, medicine, millinery, and pewter ware.

After McCrea opened his store the population doubled, inviting other business enterprises. Among the first was a tavern across the street from the McCrea's Store, operated by Abiel Smith, who was from Maine. Other industries that started during the 1830s was a tannery, was run by William Kelley from 1832 to 1850. It was located close to the ditch that runs to the West Fork Honey Creek near the northeast corner of First and Main. John Rogers operated a wagon shop on the northwest corner of Main and Pike. Charles Rogers also had a wagon shop. In 1818 Jesse Julian had a small blacksmithing shop near the village. In 1835 to 1840 another tavern owned by David Kyle was opened. Noah French, who came from Pennsylvania, was a cabinet maker and made coffins that were needed within a radius of 50 miles (80 km) of Christiansburg.

In 1842 the village of Christiansburg changed its name to Addison and in 1915 the name of the town changed back to Christiansburg.

Full article ▸

related documents
Stryker, Ohio
Eddystone Lighthouse
Loxley, Alabama
Jerome, Arizona
Cobble Hill Tunnel
John Hancock Center
Building
Douglasville, Georgia
Ware Shoals, South Carolina
Hurley, Wisconsin
Evans City, Pennsylvania
Inglewood, California
Findlay, Ohio
Hymera, Indiana
Archie, Missouri
Roslyn, Washington
Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin
The Dakota
McIntyre Township, Pennsylvania
Gold rush
Darlington, South Carolina
Agawam, Massachusetts
Sedro-Woolley, Washington
Amity, Arkansas
Beardstown, Illinois
Williamsport, Indiana
Wells, Texas
Greenville, Indiana
Odenville, Alabama
Underwood, Iowa