Clawson, Utah

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{school, student, university}
{area, community, home}
{church, century, christian}
{law, state, case}

Clawson is a town in Emery County, Utah, United States. The population was 153 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

A canal to carry water from Ferron Creek was completed in 1896. Prior to being settled the area was known as North Flat.[3] In 1897, the first settlers arrived, calling the community "Kingsville" after Guy King, who was one of the original settlers. The first school was opened in 1898 in the home of Guy King with Florence Barney as the teacher. She rode fourteen miles on horseback each day to the school.

In 1902, the President of the Emery Stake, Reuben C. Miller, sent the bishopric of Ferron to select a permanent spot for the town of Kingsville. There were two candidate locations: the homesteads and the Westingkow farm two miles west of that. The bishop decided it should be near the Westingkow farm because the lay of the land suggested that the old location could become swampy. Although the settlers initially disagreed, they consented, purchased the Westingkow farm, and moved their log cabins two miles to the west.

On October 25, 1904, LDS Church Apostle Rudger Clawson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came and organized a ward. The name of the town was changed from Kingston to Clawson in his honor.

After decades of existing as an unincorporated community, Clawson was incorporated as a town in 1982.

Geography

Clawson is located at 39°7′57″N 111°5′58″W / 39.1325°N 111.09944°W / 39.1325; -111.09944 (39.132613, -111.099553).[4]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.4 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 153 people, 48 households, and 39 families residing in the town. The population density was 282.6 people per square mile (109.4/km²). There were 52 housing units at an average density of 96.0/sq mi (37.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.73% White and 3.27% Native American.

Full article ▸

related documents
Iatan, Missouri
Grand Encampment, Wyoming
Glendora, Mississippi
Cashion, Oklahoma
Lovettsville, Virginia
Brighton, Franklin County, New York
Vienna, New York
Windsor, Virginia
Harrellsville, North Carolina
Wakita, Oklahoma
Wales, Utah
Bucoda, Washington
New Ross, Indiana
Accomac, Virginia
Bowman, South Carolina
Honea Path, South Carolina
Washtucna, Washington
Wilmerding, Pennsylvania
Port Trevorton, Pennsylvania
Spencer, Indiana
Wall, Pennsylvania
Lake City, Tennessee
Vallecito, California
Krotz Springs, Louisiana
Burnsville, North Carolina
Mount Gilead, North Carolina
Waverly, Virginia
Farragut, Tennessee
Elsinore, Utah
Cathlamet, Washington