Clayton, Oklahoma

related topics
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}

Clayton is a town in Pushmataha County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 719 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Clayton was formerly known as Dexter. A United States Post Office was established at Dexter, Indian Territory on March 31, 1894. It was named for Dexter Chapman, early-day resident.

Dexter was located in Wade County, Choctaw Nation.

The official name of the post office name changed to Clayton, Indian Territory on April 5, 1907. Its name is thought to come from Clayton, Missouri.[3] It is also possible the town renamed itself after the popular William H.H. Clayton, judge of the U.S. Court for the Central District of Indian Territory. Judge Clayton was prominent in the role to gain Oklahoma’s statehood.

Clayton is the largest town or community in northern Pushmataha County. It is the region’s largest trading center due to its relative distance from the county seat of Antlers, Oklahoma—36 miles.

At this writing Flagpole Mountain retains a fire tower. Built of metal and several stories tall, it was once part of a network of towers, all manned, from which a fire watch was maintained. It is the only tower remaining in Pushmataha County, although it is no longer operational. Views from the tower are stunning, offering a panorama stretching for many miles in any direction.

Clayton, as regional trading center, remains economically healthy, with a locally basedeconomy. It is currently home to a public school, several churches, and numerous businesses and homes.

During recent years the Clayton High School Auditorium (Oklahoma) has become recognized as an architecturally and historically significant building, and has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The building was found to be a very unusual example of Works Progress Administration architecture—one of only two known single-use auditoriums constructed by the WPA.

More information on the history of Clayton may be found in the Pushmataha County Historical Society.

Geography

Clayton is located at 34°35′16″N 95°21′25″W / 34.58778°N 95.35694°W / 34.58778; -95.35694 (34.587698, -95.357077)[4]. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km²), of which, 1.7 square miles (4.4 km²) of it is land and 0.58% is water.

Full article ▸

related documents
Salamonia, Indiana
Byng, Oklahoma
Pittsburg, Oklahoma
Alderson, Oklahoma
Shattuck, Oklahoma
Rocky, Oklahoma
Skedee, Oklahoma
Tullahassee, Oklahoma
Albion, Oklahoma
Loco, Oklahoma
Freedom, Oklahoma
Marble City, Oklahoma
Mooreland, Oklahoma
Sinclair, Wyoming
Farmington, Washington
Columbia, Connecticut
Farmland, Indiana
Gill, Massachusetts
Fayston, Vermont
Nespelem, Washington
Davidson, Oklahoma
Manitou, Oklahoma
Brooks, Maine
Malden, Washington
Sterling, Connecticut
Casar, North Carolina
Ehrhardt, South Carolina
Mount Desert, Maine
Whitefield, Maine
Hinton, Oklahoma