Cleveland, Utah

related topics
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}

Cleveland is a town in Emery County, Utah, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 508.

Contents

Geography

Cleveland is located at 39°20′53″N 110°51′19″W / 39.34806°N 110.85528°W / 39.34806; -110.85528 (39.347921, -110.855178).[3]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²), all of it land. Cleveland is a beautiful place located in a swale of land between the mountains and the desert. It embraces about 480 acres (1.9 km2) and is 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Huntington, 18 miles (29 km) southwest of Price, and 17 miles (27 km) northeast of Castle Dale.

Cleveland, Utah is in Emery County which is located in the southeastern quadrant of the state of Utah. It covers an area of 4,439 square miles (11,500 km2) in a roughly square outline and is bounded on the west by Sanpete and Sevier counties, on the north by Carbon County, on east by Grand County, and on the south by Wayne County.

History

Cleveland was first settled in 1884 by Samuel Nelson and Henry Sr. These two men took up homesteading and soon after twenty five-families joined them. Firm roots began to take hold, and gradually with hard work and persistence, Cleveland began to grow. These families were typically pioneers. Cleveland was named after President Grover Cleveland who was President of the United States in the 1880s.

The "old timers" claim that farms within the boundaries of Cleveland require less water then other farms in Emery County and had the most productive ground. Many of the founding fathers came to Cleveland because of good reports of plentiful grass and good homesteading. The reason that Cleveland wasn't settled sooner was the lack of a sufficient water source and supply.

In 1890, a log school with plank benches was built but was out-grown by 1893 when a frame frame building was built. Later a two-story section was added on. The adobe brick school was built in 1912. Harry B. Mortensen and C. Leslie Bennett were instrumental in getting sports, music, and speech programs stated for school students. A new school was built in 1976 and remodeled in 1989.

Cleveland's people loved social activities, and they had quite a few socials and parties. Departure of missionaries and servicemen were an exceptionally good reason for a get-together. In April 1910, Ernest E. Davis built a large Opera House. Many dances and weddings were held there also. In April 1923, a silent movie picture machine was installed with a player piano for music. In 1928, a talking movie projector was installed. A roller skating rink was added in 1937. These buildings do not exist there today.

It had a population of 294 in 1930.[4]

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 508 people, 164 households, and 139 families residing in the town. The population density was 568.2 people per square mile (220.4/km²). There were 173 housing units at an average density of 193.5/sq mi (75.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.24% White, 0.20% Native American, 0.20% from other races, and 2.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.59% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
North, South Carolina
Valliant, Oklahoma
Lynn, Indiana
Warren Park, Indiana
Rosalia, Washington
Warren, Indiana
Pennville, Indiana
Mansfield, Washington
Meadow, Utah
Granger, Washington
Taghkanic, New York
Worthington, Massachusetts
Hurt, Virginia
Lawn, Texas
Harrah, Washington
Alvord, Texas
Winterville, North Carolina
Leipsic, Delaware
Jackman, Maine
Dill City, Oklahoma
Coatesville, Indiana
Glenburn, Maine
Lisbon, Connecticut
Bokoshe, Oklahoma
Albion, Maine
Chesterville, Maine
Harpersfield, New York
Preston, Connecticut
Gaston, South Carolina
Society Hill, South Carolina