Clover, South Carolina

related topics
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{township, household, population}
{specie, animal, plant}
{village, small, smallsup}

Clover is a town in York County, South Carolina, United States located in the greater Charlotte metropolitan area and is a suburb of both Charlotte and Gastonia. As of July 2009, the population was at 5,158 within the town limits. Clover is twinned with the Northern Irish town of Larne, located on the East Coast of County Antrim.

Contents

History

Clover was founded in the late 19th century, in the vicinity of an earlier settlement called New Centre, which waned during the Civil War. Prior to Clover's founding, Bethany and Bethel, communities located a few miles west and east, respectively, were primary population centers in northern York District, with well-established Presbyterian churches, post offices and stores.

The pivotal American Revolutionary War battle of Kings Mountain occurred about approximately eight miles to the west on October 7, 1780.

The village of Clover began as a railway stop midway between York, South Carolina, and Gastonia, North Carolina, when the first railroad tracks were laid through the northern section of the county, leading to Gastonia.

Before the Civil War, the Kings Mountain Railway had operated as far north as Yorkville from Chester, but the tracks were destroyed during the war. In 1873, the Chester and Lenoir Narrow Gauge Railway was officially chartered, and the new railroad company acquired the former Kings Mountain rights of way. By 1875, new, narrower gauge tracks constituted the old route, and the following year tracks were laid between Yorkville and the new mill town of Gastonia. The eventual location of the village was mid-point between the two towns and a railway stopping point for taking on water, for the early steam engines.

According to lore, the overflow of water from the railway's water tank fertilized a patch of clover, and the stop was called "the clover patch." The town was incorporated in 1887.

It later became the home of several cotton mills, many of which operated until after World War II.

Geography and Climate

Clover is located at 35°6′44″N 81°13′37″W / 35.11222°N 81.22694°W / 35.11222; -81.22694 (35.112194, -81.226848)[3].

Full article ▸

related documents
Evans, New York
Coventry, New York
Troupsburg, New York
New Bremen, New York
Ashland, Chemung County, New York
West Union, New York
New Hudson, New York
Constable, New York
Montague, New York
Chelsea, Maine
Lyndeborough, New Hampshire
Carrollton, New York
Barre, New York
Gaines, New York
Ulster, New York
Aurelius, New York
Alexandria, New York
Ryegate, Vermont
Seward, New York
Whitestown, New York
Butternuts, New York
Mount Pleasant, North Carolina
Colesville, New York
Champion, New York
Pittsford, Vermont
Burns, New York
Lincklaen, New York
Seabrook, New Hampshire
Star City, West Virginia
Princess Anne, Maryland