Colesville, Maryland

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}
{son, year, death}
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}
{government, party, election}

Colesville is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland in the USA.

Contents

Geography

As an unincorporated area, Colesville's boundaries are not officially defined. Also, many residents consider the town to be one of the many neighborhoods of Silver Spring, Maryland. Colesville is recognized by the United States Postal Service as an acceptable city name in two northeastern Montgomery County zip codes, with Silver Spring being the preferred city name. It is also recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a Census-designated Place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at 39°4′47″N 77°0′12″W / 39.07972°N 77.00333°W / 39.07972; -77.00333 (39.079695, -77.003263)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the place has a total area of 9.2 square miles (23.9 km²), all of it land.

Colesville's generally-accepted boundaries extend between the Northwest and Paint Branches of the Anacostia River. Its northern and southern boundaries are not as well-defined, but are usually assumed to run from Springbrook High School in the south to Cloverly in the north.

History

The first land was purchased in Colesville from the Lords Baltimore in 1714, when Archibald Edmonston patented "Easy Purchase", a 900-acre (3.6 km2) tract that extended from Meadowood south to near present-day Route 29. In 1715, "Easy Purchase" was bought by James Beall, Sr., who that year also patented "Drumeldry", a 225-acre (0.91 km2) tract from the Northwest Branch across Notley Road to Shannon Drive. In 1718, his nephew William Beall patented "Wolf's Den", a 317-acre (1.28 km2) tract that straddled today's Bonifant Road and ran from Notley Road to Pebblestone Drive, and then southwest across the Northwest Branch.

However, none of these early landowners actually resided in Colesville. Robert Lazenby, thought to be the son of Henry Lazenby, High Sheriff of Anne Arundel County, purchased 217 acres (0.88 km2) of the southern part of "Wolfs Den" from William Beall in 1723, and became the first president farmer in Colesville.

In 1747, James Odell, granddaughter of James Beall Sr., was deeded 300 acres (1.2 km2) of a tract known as "Beal Christie" from his parents, and took to farming it. It was located east of today's New Hampshire Avenue near where it crosses Randolph Road.[2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Lombard, Illinois
Jericho, New York
Colcord, Oklahoma
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Edmeston, New York
Frankfort, Illinois
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Cottage City, Maryland
Channahon, Illinois
Akron, Pennsylvania
Aspinwall, Pennsylvania
East Hills, New York
Manchester, Maryland
South Bethany, Delaware
Holiday City-Berkeley, New Jersey
Clifton Springs, New York
Norridge, Illinois
East Falmouth, Massachusetts
Frewsburg, New York
Bolinas, California
Speculator, New York
Los Altos Hills, California
Brandywine, Maryland
Williamstown, New Jersey
Woodfin, North Carolina
Castro Valley, California
Bethania, North Carolina
La Pine, Oregon
Bear, Delaware
Richland, Michigan