Corydon, Indiana

related topics
{day, year, event}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{county, mile, population}
{area, part, region}
{area, community, home}
{government, party, election}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{god, call, give}
{game, team, player}
{work, book, publish}
{city, population, household}
{car, race, vehicle}

Corydon is a town in Harrison Township, Harrison County, Indiana, United States, founded in 1808, and is known as Indiana's First State Capital. After Vincennes, Corydon was the second capital of the Indiana Territory from May 1, 1813 until December 11, 1816. After statehood, the town was the capital of Indiana until January 10, 1825 when it moved to Indianapolis. The town remains the county seat of Harrison County[3] and had a population was 2,715 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Corydon's history dates to the American Revolution, when the area was captured by George Rogers Clark from the British, bringing it under the control of the fledgling United States.

In the early 1800s Edward Smith brought his family to settle the edge of a fertile valley near a large spring, the site of the today's county fairgrounds. William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory, often stopped to rest at their home while travelling to and from Vincennes. Harrison chanced on the spot where Big Indian Creek and Little Indian Creek join to become the Indian Creek. Tradition says he decided to build a town there and asked Edward Smith's daughter, Jenny, to name it. She chose the name Corydon from Harrison's favorite hymn, the Pastoral Elegy.[4]

Early history

Harrison sold the town site to Harvey Heth in 1808, a government surveyor and large landowner. The official founding date is 1808 when Heth was platted the town. Heth donated the town square for public use, and sold individual lots to settlers and the territorial government.[4] In 1809 Corydon was connected by road to Doup's Ferry, fifteen miles (24 km) to the south in Mauck's Port, providing access to the Ohio River for trade. Corydon sent a mounted militia company company nicknamed the Yellow Jackets to support the territorial army in the War of 1812. They fought in the Battle of Tippecanoe, suffering higher casualties than any other unit engaged on there.

Full article ▸

related documents
Monson, Maine
Marysville, California
Stony Creek, New York
New Pekin, Indiana
Clay Center, Nebraska
Owosso, Michigan
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Leitchfield, Kentucky
Quincy, Washington
Centerville, Iowa
Graceville, Minnesota
Montgomery, Minnesota
Saline, Louisiana
Hallsville, Texas
Hollis, New Hampshire
Hobo
Beersheba Springs, Tennessee
Minburn, Iowa
Long Grove, Iowa
Plymouth, Indiana
Sac City, Iowa
Yorktown, Texas
York, South Carolina
Clifton, Texas
Essex, Connecticut
Holidays in Taiwan
Gowanda, New York
St. Paul, Kansas
Mt. Angel, Oregon
Honesdale, Pennsylvania